Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh goody. A rehash of the Illinois senate race of '94.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

For the past 4 years, all we heard is the only reason why we oppose Obama is because he's black. Well, to be honest, when I hear of crap like this it makes me think that, and I don't care if this gets me banned or whatever but if you act like a ****** people are going to look at you like you're a ****** and Obama and his cast of clowns are acting like ******s. For the record, there is a fundamental difference between black people and ******s.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I just hope this shit doesn't hurt mitts chances and I hope this blows up in Obamas face
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I wonder whats sealed and can this hurt Romney? Why would a judge release these records at this time? If i was him, I'd say I will set a court date for 60 days

Probate and Family Court. That pretty much boils down to one of two things: Probate issues and hearings (wills, guardianships, adult mental health commitments) or Family Court. As I'm pretty sure that Romney's never had a child support case, being married to the mother of his children and all, it could be that he testified at someone else's child support case. Or, if his parents died in MA and there was any situation regarding the will that required testimony, I could see that being a reason he testified in court.

The other thing at Probate and Family court is my field, and I doubt that Romney ever dealt with PS/FC, unless, again, he was helping a friend or family member. Or, if he was subpeonaed in his job as Governor by a judge who didn't like his policies, and he actually showed up in court instead of sending a lackey.

But none of those situations are anything that would hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Probate and Family Court. That pretty much boils down to one of two things: Probate issues and hearings (wills, guardianships, adult mental health commitments) or Family Court. As I'm pretty sure that Romney's never had a child support case, being married to the mother of his children and all, it could be that he testified at someone else's child support case. Or, if his parents died in MA and there was any situation regarding the will that required testimony, I could see that being a reason he testified in court.

The other thing at Probate and Family court is my field, and I doubt that Romney ever dealt with PS/FC, unless, again, he was helping a friend or family member. Or, if he was subpeonaed in his job as Governor by a judge who didn't like his policies, and he actually showed up in court instead of sending a lackey.

But none of those situations are anything that would hurt him.
    They are now saying he testified the amount the company was worth, i guess for divorce settlement reasons. I had a hunch that she wanted him to bulk so she could make it appear that he was hiding something. I would never wish cancer on most people but there are a few who deserve it and she is one of them, she gives human filth a bad name.

This is 3rd world politics at it's worst but in this instance, should she try to unearth something this close to the election, most independent voters are smart enough to know that this is a desperate ploy by a desperate man and no one would want someone like this as their leader outside of his minions. In fact, this wouldn't surprise me to turn off potential Obama voters. Not that they would vote for Romney but they could either just stay home or vote for the Green or Libertarian candidate. But gutter politics is all these people know.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

They are now saying he testified the amount the company was worth, i guess for divorce settlement reasons. I had a hunch that she wanted him to bulk so she could make it appear that he was hiding something. I would never wish cancer on most people but there are a few who deserve it and she is one of them, she gives human filth a bad name.
    That's strong language about people we don't know very well. It's possible that Maureen got really shafted in the divorce. Tom Stemberg wouldn't be the first rich man trying to screw his wife out of alimony and child support with an army of lawyers.

Now as to Allred, that is another matter. To unseal these records less than two weeks before an election is a craven political move. I am sure that neither Romney nor Stemberg thought that personal records sealed by a court would be unsealed to tank Romney's political career. For the first time, I am grateful that Donald Trump is trying to suck the air out of the room. This is a dirty trick against Romney that has nothing to do with the election. Allred is a craven operator, not just an ambulance chaser. The one good thing about Allred is that she was one of the few feminists who actually came out against both Bill Clinton (with Monica Lewinsky) and OJ Simpson. Rank and file feminists kept silent about both cases. That is why I believe that Allred ultimately operates in her own self interest even while serving left wing political interests. She also belongs to PETA (?) which I have never understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    That's strong language about people we don't know very well. It's possible that Maureen got really shafted in the divorce. Tom Stemberg wouldn't be the first rich man trying to screw his wife out of alimony and child support with an army of lawyers.

Now as to Allred, that is another matter. To unseal these records less than two weeks before an election is a craven political move. I am sure that neither Romney nor Stemberg thought that personal records sealed by a court would be unsealed to tank Romney's political career. For the first time, I am grateful that Donald Trump is trying to suck the air out of the room. This is a dirty trick against Romney that has nothing to do with the election. Allred is a craven operator, not just an ambulance chaser. The one good thing about Allred is that she was one of the few feminists who actually came out against both Bill Clinton (with Monica Lewinsky) and OJ Simpson. Rank and file feminists kept silent about both cases. That is why I believe that Allred ultimately operates in her own self interest even while serving left wing political interests. She also belongs to PETA (?) which I have never understood.
    I just cant picture any judge that whats to at least appear to be objective would unseal this records. There is no valid reason but to make Romney look bad (thats saying he did something wrong), the judge should pass a motion saying it will be decided on after the election if its that important.

I just cant picture any judge that whats to at least appear to be objective would unseal this records. There is no valid reason but to make Romney look bad (thats saying he did something wrong), the judge should pass a motion saying it will be decided on after the election if its that important.
    I don't either.

I've had a cup of coffee since the last post and have had a bit of a shift in my opinion about Allred's motivations here.

Allred is always about getting a big settlement for her client and herself, of course. She has done this with Hollywood actresses, Tiger Wood mistresses, and various others. I'm wondering if her goal in this is not Romney's destruction, but a huge payday for Maureen and herself. Look at it this way: unlike Trump, Allred has been very silent about the unsealing the records. The online gossip mags carried the stories and Allred has not held her usual press conference with the client. (Allred is famous for her press conferences announcing her lawsuits.)

Here's my take: Gloria has no interest in tanking Romney. She is using the threat of tanking Romney to get Tom Stemberg to pay up.

Tom Stemberg has received a notice about the records and he is fighting the unsealing. Romney has also received notice but has done nothing. One wonders if he hasn't gone to his old buddy Tom and said, "Pay her off and shut her up!" That would much more suit Allred's taste than tanking Romney's campaign.

This theory is also in line with noonwitch's contention that there isn't much to find in these kinds of papers. Let's say that Mitt lied about the total net worth of Staples. I can't see the undecided voters, who already don't pay much attention, focusing long enough to worry about the net value of Staples. It's just not sexy enough.

The only possible political fallout is if Allred can tie Romney to a divorce case in which his friend worked his wife over in court. If the papers show a bitter custody fight, where the children were used a pawns to get Maureen to agree to a lot less money, for example, then the female voters might have a problem with Mitt.

Either way, Allred wins. If she can shake them down, she gets a payday. If she can't, she makes Mitt look like an asshole to women, she tanks Mitt AND gets a payday, eventually. Gloria always gets her money.

Report: Mitt Romney OK with unsealing testimony

Mitt Romney doesn’t object to the unsealing of his testimony in the divorce case of a friend, according to a report on Wednesday.

“This is a decades-old divorce case in which Mitt Romney provided testimony as to the value of a company. He has no objection to letting the public see that testimony,” Robert Jones, a lawyer for Romney, told Time.

A source told Time that Romney’s testimony helped determine the value of some Staples stock that was part of the divorce settlement. Romney, as the head of Bain Capital, had invested in Staples. Tom Stemberg, a Staples co-founder, is a longtime friend of the former Massachusetts governor and spoke at the Republican National Convention.

A number of aggregators and gossip sites — TMZ, Radar Online and the Drudge Report among them — have suggested damaging information about Romney is included in sealed records covering the divorce of Stemberg and his wife. Time reported Wednesday a hearing on unsealing the records is scheduled for 9 a.m. in Canton, Mass.

Gloria Allred, a lawyer, is involved in the case, although it’s unclear what her role is. Allred was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz2AELZKyeC

Mitt Romney Allegedly Lied in Court To Screw Over Friend's Wife

Mitt Romney LIED under oath when he testified in the divorce of his good friend and screwed the friend's wife out of a lot of money in the process ... so claims the ex-wife of Staples' founder Tom Stemberg.

Multiple sources connected with the divorce tell TMZ ... during Tom's uber nasty divorce case with ex-wife Maureen, Mitt Romney gave a deposition and testified during the trial that Staples was worth virtually nothing. Romney testified that the company was worth very little and Tom was a dreamer and "the dream continues."

Romney characterized the Staples stock as "overvalued," adding, "I didn't place a great deal of credibility in the forecast of the company's future."

Partly as a result of Romney's testimony, Maureen got relatively little in the divorce, but we're told just weeks after the divorce ended, Romney and Tom went to Goldman Sachs and cashed in THEIR stock for a fortune. Short story -- Romney allegedly lied to help his friend and screw the friend's wife over.

And there's more ... Our sources say years later, Maureen, who suffered from MS and had multiple bouts with cancer, got a visit from one of Tom's guys, who gave her papers informing her that Tom was cancelling her health insurance. Our sources say the irony here is that we're told Tom was working as one of then Governor Mitt Romney's chief health care advisers.

Sources tell us ... Tom also got custody of the couple's one child, making allegations of abuse against Maureen. And get this ... in the mid-90s, after the divorce, Tom sent the boy a letter saying, although he loved him, because of issues related to the divorce "it will not be possible for you to be a part of our family for the foreseeable future."

Maureen lost her home in the process and struggled financially.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/24/mitt-r...#ixzz2AEMx1BNa
    Last edited by Elspeth; 10-24-2012 at 11:29 AM.