Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    My daughter asked me where you lived and I said Georgia. She said you have your head in the sand.
    I agree there is great historical significance in the flag but it has been stolen by bigots.
    All the more to reason to steal it back. ;)

Power CUer
    Or accept that the Wawuh is Ovuh.

Personally, I'm more offended by the Mexican flag than the Confederate flag. Yes, they both mean different things to different people, but most of the time I've seen a Mexican flag it has been used to mean a refusal to assimilate into the person's chosen culture. National pride is not a bad thing, and even at it's worst is better than some fool's one world nation, no borders fertilizer. But when we have a whole lot of folks who come in, legally or illegally and refuse to make any concessions to their chosen home (speak the language, follow the rules and laws, silly things like that) AND demand that we bend over backwards to accommodate them and their wants (translators at every whipstich, schools accommodating their culture, drivers licenses and instate tuition whether they are legal or not) that group needs to shove it. The ones screaming for all that garbage are the most likely, in my experience, to be flying the Mexican flag the highest.
    It seems that the groups flying the Confederate flag are split a little more evenly between the stupid racists and the proud Southerners.

An aside, one of my Mexican friends a long time ago was the first one I saw wearing a "You wear your X and I'll wear mine" shirt with a Stars and Bars on it, back when the Malcolm X shirts were everywhere.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Power CUer
    I think you make a very good point. This country is full of vitality because its people come from everywhere on earth, but they are also people who have made an effort to assimilate when they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    My daughter asked me where you lived and I said Georgia. She said you have your head in the sand.
    I agree there is great historical significance in the flag but it has been stolen by bigots.
    The ones I see, and have, say "HERITAGE NOT HATE", and "IF THIS FLAG OFFENDS YOU, YOU NEED A HISTORY LESSON". The closest I've seen says "YOU HAVE YOUR "X", I HAVE MINE".

Where is your daughter from? How much does she really know about south GA? The flag issue really went big when Roy Barnes decided to take it off the state flag without putting it to a vote. It flies in the face of a government who didn't listen to the people, not a "warning" to blacks.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Both flags signify the iconic loser. No different than the French flag to me.
    he he..

I'll take the Mexican flag as more offensive. It's like a State flag being flown above the U.S. Which is something I witnessed recently on a military base. They had security guards putting up the flag who had no idea about customs. :o
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The ones I see, and have, say "HERITAGE NOT HATE", and "IF THIS FLAG OFFENDS YOU, YOU NEED A HISTORY LESSON". The closest I've seen says "YOU HAVE YOUR "X", I HAVE MINE".

Where is your daughter from? How much does she really know about south GA? The flag issue really went big when Roy Barnes decided to take it off the state flag without putting it to a vote. It flies in the face of a government who didn't listen to the people, not a "warning" to blacks.

Yes, I have seen the others as well but very rarely.

My daughter was born in Louisiana, has lived in N.C. Virginia and is now a college student in Arkansas. We live in Louisiana now.
    We talked about it at lunch today with some of her friends and her older brother. They all felt the flag has become a challenging symbol. I don't like the fact but I agree.
    I lived in Fort Benning for a while but before she was born. I have family in Dahlonega, Atlanta (actually Dallas, GA) and Hinesville. I have a hard time believing that things are that different from LA and Texas.
    My son used to be a reenactor and he got tired of the hassles.

I don't think it's fair that the flag has taken on this image but to deny it is to be unaware.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    "YOU HAVE YOUR "X", I HAVE MINE".
    Id have a hard time not rear-ending somebody with something that ignorant.

I don't care about the Mexican flag or the Confederate flag. I am pissed off at the illegal aliens who come here and demand the rights and benefits of citizens.

At the turn of the 19th century, Spain laid claim to Louisiana and almost all land west of the Mississippi. Jefferson bought a big chunk of it, but what remained was Mexican territory when Mexico won its independence from Spain. From its earliest days as an independent nation, Mexico has been plagued by corrupt politics. Santa Ana lost Texas. The US did incite the Mexican-American War to take the Southwest, but the US did pay Mexico for the land ceded to the US (the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo). Mexico had a very sparse population in those lands and couldn't govern it anyway.

The present day Central American nations were all part of Mexico once. Mexico lost those lands, too, but all they bitch about is what they lost to the US.

Rather than deal with its poverty and corruption, successive Mexican governments have dealt with their poverty problem by urging people to go to the US. Now, we have groups like La Raza.

Mexico should not be a poor nation. It is because of the Mexican corruption. I don't blame poor people from coming here to look for work to send money home, but I don't excuse breaking our laws, either.

end of rant
    The Pittsburgh Penguins - 2007-08 NHL Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Id have a hard time not rear-ending somebody with something that ignorant.
    Really? I see provocative bumper stickers all the time and I never feel the urge toward physical violence. I guess I get the part where "tolerance" is endurance, not support.