Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    What do you want to do? Strip them of their right to demostrate?
    Do they even have that right when they're not citizens?

Eyelids
    Some of them are...

Answer my question, Blinky. If foreign nationals and their supporters used a country of origin flag to symbolize their dissatisfaction with the laws regarding illegal aliens in that country would the World Court look on in bliss? Would the citizens of the country in question? If Mexicans and South Americans can demand citizen-level treatment here when they are illegal aliens, is it okay if illegally resident Americans demand the same "rights" in France? Liberia? China?

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Answer my question, Blinky. If foreign nationals and their supporters used a country of origin flag to symbolize their dissatisfaction with the laws regarding illegal aliens in that country would the World Court look on in bliss? Would the citizens of the country in question? If Mexicans and South Americans can demand citizen-level treatment here when they are illegal aliens, is it okay if illegally resident Americans demand the same "rights" in France? Liberia? China?
    I think people should have a right to demonstrate on something they believe in regardless of country of origin.

I think people should have a right to demonstrate on something they believe in regardless of country of origin.
    You're in college or around one, right? You're smart enough to actually answer the question I posed rather than simply inserting your talking point as a rebuttal. Read and react to my questions rather than just providing some kind of general knee-jerk response. I have faith that you can do it.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    You're in college or around one, right? You're smart enough to actually answer the question I posed rather than simply inserting your talking point as a rebuttal. Read and react to my questions rather than just providing some kind of general knee-jerk response. I have faith that you can do it.
    OK sure, I thought I was straightforward enough with taht answer but whatever:

Yes, if an American living illegally abroad believes they process for nationalization is unfair I think they should have a right to voice their displeasure. I'm not big on borders or weird false nationalistic pride, I think America is a swell place and I'm glad I live here... but who am I (who is only an American by completely chance of birthright) to say others are unfit to be Americans?

I'll even make the claim that those who successfully immigrate into America embody more American values than most natural born citizens. This is a much larger point I'm bringing up... but to answer your question:

Yes, any person who feels like they are being treated unfairly has the right to voice their displeasure. And if all they want to do is fly a flag to display pride in their heritage I'm perfectly fine with that.

OK sure, I thought I was straightforward enough with taht answer but whatever:

Yes, if an American living illegally abroad believes they process for nationalization is unfair I think they should have a right to voice their displeasure. I'm not big on borders or weird false nationalistic pride, I think America is a swell place and I'm glad I live here... but who am I (who is only an American by completely chance of birthright) to say others are unfit to be Americans?

I'll even make the claim that those who successfully immigrate into America embody more American values than most natural born citizens. This is a much larger point I'm bringing up... but to answer your question:

Yes, any person who feels like they are being treated unfairly has the right to voice their displeasure. And if all they want to do is fly a flag to display pride in their heritage I'm perfectly fine with that.
    My ancestors did successfully immigrate via Ellis Island. They were legal and they became citizens as soon as possible. They did not speak English nor share an Anglo-Saxon heritage but they soon learned English and wanted to assimilate.

How is it fair for illegal immigrants to demand rights that are denied to resident aliens who have worked through the legal immigration procedures, sometimes for years?

The Mexican flag in last year's demonstrations did not show some kind pride of heritage. It was a deliberate provocation.

Again, do you believe that the Swiss or the Chinese or the French would have been as accepting or more accepting of mass demonstrations by American illegal aliens marching behind the flag of the United States? If not, why not?

Eyelids
    I cant control how other people feel about mass demonstrations, nor is it really relvant to this discussion. This is about my feelings on the matter, and I dont care if its Somalia, France, Germany, Russia, China or whatever... my views on the matter are going to stay very consistent.

And demonstrations are meant to provoke people... thats kind of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I asked my daughter what people meant around here when they used Confederate flag stickers, was it historical or racist. She laughed and said they are the racist kids, it is a warning to the black kids.

I have seen

If I had known, I'd have picked my own cotton

Wake Up White People

NAAWP

All with the stars and bars (those are ones I can think of off hand)

Some military installations do not allow the flag or flag stickers on cars.
    LL.

There are bigots who fly the Battle flag. There are also people who fly it as a symbol of their southern heritage.
    I've seen the flag with the inscription: "Heritage- Not Hate"

I see this as a symbol of heritage but I don't display it because I respect the (wrong) opinion that it is a racist symbol and bothers some people. I don't get the hubbub over it and nothing said about the Malcolm X?Black Power/ crap. I don't like the disparity. That being said; the State of Mexico flag will be fine once it is annexed; not before.
    (I apologize for the semi-colons; my comma won't work)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    What, exactly is on these "racist" bumper stickers. I live in the heart of Dixie and see tags, shirts, and Bumper Stickers. Haven't seen one yet that is racist, unless it's that whole flag thing.

My daughter asked me where you lived and I said Georgia. She said you have your head in the sand.
    I agree there is great historical significance in the flag but it has been stolen by bigots.