1. #1 Michiganders, thoughts on state proposals. 
    Just got by absentee ballot and I see the two proposals at the bottom, one regarding the Emergency Manager, and the other over collective bargaining.

I've been out of state for quite a while, the only real trips I've made up there the last few months was to spend time with my dying grand father, so I was paying no attention to local politics.

So can my fellow Michiganders share their thoughts on this stuff? Thanks.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Here's the thing about all the proposals-all are intended to enshrine their issues into the state constitution. Whether it's collective bargaining or clean energy or making it so that the citizens (instead of elected officials) have to decide whether we can build an international bridge and infringe upon one man's monopoly.

Once something is placed on the state constitution by a ballot initiative, it can't be removed without a constitutional convention. That's what happened with the death penalty way back in the 19th century. Now, to remove it, we would have to address it during a constitutional convention.

I'm probably going to vote no on all of them, even the collective bargaining proposal that my union supports so strongly. I support collective bargaining, but I don't think it merits being put in the state constitution. I loathe the owner of the Ambassador Bridge, who is sponsoring proposal 6. He is the biggest slumlord in Detroit and he has bought many politicians on both sides of the aisle, including Kwame, Virg Bernero and Mike Bishop.

I'm pretty sure that proposal 3, the clean energy one, is going to raise my utility bills. I can't afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Here's the thing about all the proposals-all are intended to enshrine their issues into the state constitution. Whether it's collective bargaining or clean energy or making it so that the citizens (instead of elected officials) have to decide whether we can build an international bridge and infringe upon one man's monopoly.

Once something is placed on the state constitution by a ballot initiative, it can't be removed without a constitutional convention. That's what happened with the death penalty way back in the 19th century. Now, to remove it, we would have to address it during a constitutional convention.

I'm probably going to vote no on all of them, even the collective bargaining proposal that my union supports so strongly. I support collective bargaining, but I don't think it merits being put in the state constitution. I loathe the owner of the Ambassador Bridge, who is sponsoring proposal 6. He is the biggest slumlord in Detroit and he has bought many politicians on both sides of the aisle, including Kwame, Virg Bernero and Mike Bishop.

I'm pretty sure that proposal 3, the clean energy one, is going to raise my utility bills. I can't afford that.
    Thank you for that summary.

I'm no longer a resident of MI, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in what's going on.
    U.S. Army, Retired