Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Preparing for a major buttfudge...
    I actually do not have a good feeling about this one. We are right in the crosshairs.
    Be Not Afraid.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I actually do not have a good feeling about this one. We are right in the crosshairs.

Please make sure you donate to CU before you are killed. Thx.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I had a frost last night and these people are worried about a little wall of water and 100 mile an hour winds, you would think they have never had a storm before. sheesh!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I had a frost last night and these people are worried about a little wall of water and 100 mile an hour winds, you would think they have never had a storm before. sheesh!
    I know... it was 34 degrees when I went to my truck this morning. God...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Yep, people in Jersey are such babies. The only ones worse are in NYC and where Linda#'s live.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Watching the Weather Channel. Bloomdork on a news conference thanking ODumbo for offering FEMA help ahead of the storm. Bloomdork thanked Odumbo for his offer but has declined it as NY is used to handling these types of crises. REALLY?
    Really. NYC usually does pretty well in heavy storms, because it's engineered for it. Most of the electrical systems are underground, and the sewers handle the flow for 8 million people, so the increase really doesn't overwhelm the systems the way that they do elsewhere. I remember hurricanes hitting the city annually, and aside from a few trees getting knocked down, there wasn't much damage. Even the big nor'easter in the late 80's was more of an inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Yep, people in Jersey are such babies. The only ones worse are in NYC and where Linda#'s live.
    I'm going to take exception to the NYC part. New York weathers storms like this pretty well. DC and northern Virginia, OTOH, not so much. Alexandria is extremely vulnerable to heavy rains because there's not enough drainage, and the power lines are mostly above ground, so high winds will knock out power, and the response from the utilities is almost always sluggish.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Ody, last Halloween when NYC was hit by Irene, people were without power for weeks. That's not competency. In Florida, power is restored within 24 hours, in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

I'm going to take exception to the NYC part. New York weathers storms like this pretty well. DC and northern Virginia, OTOH, not so much. Alexandria is extremely vulnerable to heavy rains because there's not enough drainage, and the power lines are mostly above ground, so high winds will knock out power, and the response from the utilities is almost always sluggish.
    They live in burrows and travel underground.

Gophers do not do well in heavy rain!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Hurricane Sandy was headed north from the Caribbean, where it left nearly five dozen dead, to meet a winter storm and a cold front, plus high tides from a full moon, and experts said the rare hybrid storm that results will cause havoc over 800 miles (1,300 kilometers) from the East Coast to the Great Lakes.

The danger was hardly limited to coastal areas. Forecasters were far more worried about inland flooding from the storm surge than they were about winds. Rains could saturate the ground, causing trees to topple into power lines, utility officials said, warning residents to prepare for several days at home without power.

States of emergency were declared from North Carolina, where gusty winds whipped steady rain on Sunday morning, to Connecticut. Delaware ordered mandatory evacuations for coastal communities by 8 p.m. Sunday.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered New York City's transit service to suspend bus, subway and commuter rail service starting at 7 p.m. (2300 GMT) Sunday in advance of the storm. The city closed the subways before Hurricane Irene last year, and a Columbia University study predicted that an Irene surge just 1 foot (30 centimeters) higher would have paralyzed lower Manhattan.

http://weather.aol.com/2012/10/28/me...6pLid%3D226718

Sounds like the Perfect Storm minus George Clooney

Considering that line goes almost over my head, I am not happy right now:

Be Not Afraid.