Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I'll say!!! Like Hawkgirl, I spent a ton of time on summer vacation at SH. We used rent a house for a couple of weeks in a
    little town of Lavallette,NJ which is between Pt. Pleasant and Seaside Heights. They probably got creamed too.
    That was the heart of my bread route. I went from Seaside up to Pt. Pleasant. Made a ton of money in 1996 with a lot of it coming in the summer from my boardwalk accounts.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Sandy brings blizzard conditions to West Virginia:

http://www.wsaz.com/breaking/home/SE...176138631.html

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Yep, people in Jersey are such babies. The only ones worse are in NYC and where Linda#'s live.
    Yeah, now that the storm is over, the New Yorkers and Jerseyites OBVIOUSLY had nothing to worry about.
    We came through just fine; never lost power, although some people in our neighborhood did when trees came down.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'm going to take exception to the NYC part. New York weathers storms like this pretty well. DC and northern Virginia, OTOH, not so much. Alexandria is extremely vulnerable to heavy rains because there's not enough drainage, and the power lines are mostly above ground, so high winds will knock out power, and the response from the utilities is almost always sluggish.
    GREAT job forecasting.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I know NYC got hit hard but for the most part this storm was over hyped as "death storm 2012" and there would be massive power outages in the NE for the next year or so etc.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

NYT called out city’s flood-protection problems in September

In a prescient New York Times article in September, scientists warned that New York City could become paralyzed for a month or more if a storm...caused significant flooding.

This passage, flagged by Reuters' Felix Salmon, stands out in particular:

Consolidated Edison, the utility that supplies electricity to most of the city, estimates that adaptations like installing submersible switches and moving high-voltage transformers above ground level would cost at least $250 million. Lacking the means, it is making gradual adjustments, with about $24 million spent in flood zones since 2007.
    Someone's drinking a 17 ounce soda? Where? Call the cops.

link
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I know NYC got hit hard but for the most part this storm was over hyped as "death storm 2012" and there would be massive power outages in the NE for the next year or so etc.
    This same storm (in magnitude, wind, rain, etc.) has hit the gulf coast several times in the last few years.

What's the difference? The people stacked on top of one another 40 stories high in an unsustainable environment and one dedicated to loses far beyond any other occurrence. Were they normally distributed across the geography there would be less dead, less damage and less havoc in general.

All-in-all humanity just needs to learn the lessons ol' Ma Nature is trying to teach. Don't live on an ocean coast, don't live below sea level where there is a channel to the ocean, don't try to stack them selves higher than the average human is willing to walk stairs daily.

As the population grows so does the stupid and the results will continue to be higher and higher costs.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I was just talking to my sis up in Central Jersey and they were told not to expect power back on till the middle of next week.

She said it's nuts trying to go anywhere with all the traffic lights out, people are acting like dicks.

I told her, "hey, it's Jersey!" It's a good thing they can't get guns easy there or it would be a blood bath by now.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Or New York...

Latest report I heard on New York is the 11th or so when they expect to get the majority of the power turned back on.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.