Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Sandy has strengthened from 75mph to 85mph with higher wind gusts...

Any power outages yet?

i am going to be right in its path :(

Why isn't the colder water of the North atlantic sapping some strength from it
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Ever hear of a Hatteras Low?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Sandy has strengthened from 75mph to 85mph with higher wind gusts...

Any power outages yet?
    My sis and her hubby and my neice live just north of where it's going to come ashore.

She works for the airlines and I think she is on a trip to Puerto Vallarta. She may be
    stuck there...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Because the front from the west is fueling it. The cold from the north is what's turning it due west. Path of the storm is placing it right about my front lawn. It's raining pretty steady and the wind is picking up. Per the news, those north of the storm are going to get hit worst with the storm surge. Ocean City is already closed off due to flooding so if people didn't get out by now, they aren't going anywhere. For those making jokes about this, we're not in a major hurricane corridor so we're not used to this kind of thing. It's the same thing when it snows in Florida and how there are 15 car pileups on I-95 over a light dusting. As for power loss, we just went through this in July so people in my area should be ready for this but they still panic. My biggest worry is my wife and dogs but damage-wise we don't have any trees in our yard, however we have some at the back woods with only 1 tall enough to reach the house so there's that. I have the generator in the shed and at the ready with about 2 days worth of gas. Showed the wife how to start it and how to work it once it's started but told her if the power goes out and it's hounding and pounding to not to go outside. We have plenty of food, water, candles, flashlights, and lanterns so we can hunker down. I have to go to work today(essential personnel and all) and my hope is I get to come home later but considering the selfish people I work with, I might get stuck all night. Anyhoo, stay safe all and hopefully we don't lose power for too long.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

The big problem with this storm as compared to hurricanes down near me is the duration. 75mph
    winds are really nothing but if you have them for days...

And the trees up north aren't like the palms down here so the power grid is almost
    certain to take a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    The big problem with this storm as compared to hurricanes down near me is the duration. 75mph
    winds are really nothing but if you have them for days...

And the trees up north aren't like the palms down here so the power grid is almost
    certain to take a hit.
    Not even the grid but the wires. This is what happened in July. Trees down everywhere and with it, downed power lines. A grid hit we can handle because it's localized but your right, in high winds, a palm is designed to handle it but oak's not so much and it's not a tree snapping in half, with the soaking rain the ground becomes soft and the trees get uprooted and causes a big mess.

Update: News just tracked the storm and it's now tracking south of Cape May and it looks like Delaware is now in it's path but we're still in the storm area.

Update: I wish they would make up their minds. Now the storm is back to my front lawn.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 10-29-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Nothing happening too bad here in Va. light rain and some gusting, but we wait to see what happens in NJ ones it makes landfall.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Fearless Leader is on TV telling us it's SERIES!!!!

I've got friends in Jersey. Am watching live online feed from WPVI:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/livenow?id=7129670