Thread: Tropical Storm Sandy

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Black Horse Pike runs from AC to the Walt Whitman bridge and is Rt. 322(there is a White Horse Pike also that leads you to Brigantine and the north part of AC. It also has low lying areas that go over water). I'm guessing the part that buckled is right before you enter AC it's a small causway. If this is the case, this eliminates one major route into AC and it's the most used route. As for Avalon, it's a very rich shore town south of Sea Isle City. There is a low lying bridge into the town but there is also a bridge that is pretty high and that is the one leading to Sea Isle. I believe there is another from the main land and another small one into Stone Harbor
    Ah. OK. That's why the Pike is so important. The local Philly station showed it buckled and unusable in one stretch, but I don't know where. If I see it again, I'll let you know.

Do these coastal towns have older roads and bridges in general?

Now watching "Action News" online:

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/livenow?id=7129670

One shore community still totally under water. (Ocean City). Lots of downed trees in Philly. Actually Philly was pretty lucky, considering everything. Evacuated friends of mine have light and power in Philly.

"Roads ripped to shreds" in Avalon, NJ

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/livenow?id=7129670

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Ah. OK. That's why the Pike is so important. The local Philly station showed it buckled and unusable in one stretch, but I don't know where. If I see it again, I'll let you know.

Do these coastal towns have older roads and bridges in general?
    Some do. Ocean City used to have the Beasley's Point bridge but that was shut down a few years ago. They just replaced the 34th street causeway with a bridge which is good because the causeway was only a few feet above the water. There's more than one way into the barrier islands, however, once you get over some of the bridges you're greeted with roads buried in sand or still under water.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Some do. Ocean City used to have the Beasley's Point bridge but that was shut down a few years ago. They just replaced the 34th street causeway with a bridge which is good because the causeway was only a few feet above the water. There's more than one way into the barrier islands, however, once you get over some of the bridges you're greeted with roads buried in sand or still under water.
    ABC (Action) News is doing an aerial overview of the damage. All contact was severed during the storm so the view from above is really the first report of the damage. It's just unbelievable. They've got Wildwood right now. They had Ocean City on before and it was totally submerged still. They said there's a bay behind Ocean City. Is there one behind Wildwood?

Houseboat finds its way to the Black Horse Pike--Action News clip

Edited to add better pic:

This houseboat got loose from the bay, ran into and destroyed part of a house and then ended up on the Black Horse Pike.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 10-30-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Just what the stricken state needs:

OBAMA TO VIEW STORM DAMAGE IN NEW JERSEY

WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama will travel to storm-stricken New Jersey on Wednesday to view damage from the massive storm that struck the East Coast and to thank first responders.

The White House says Obama will join New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie in viewing the damage. Christie is a Republican who has been an Obama critic. But on Tuesday he praised Obama's leadership in dealing with the storm disaster.

Obama said Tuesday at Red Cross headquarters that the storm "is not yet over." He said there are still risks of flooding and downed power lines and called the storm "heartbreaking for the nation."

The president offered his thoughts and prayers to those affected and said "America is with you." He said he told government officials coordinating the response that there was "no excuse for inaction."

"Jersey Shore" locale, Seaside Heights:

Sand Covered homes. Seaside Heights boardwalk was destroyed as well.

North end of Atlantic City Boardwalk--destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    "Jersey Shore" locale, Seaside Heights:

Sand Covered homes. Seaside Heights boardwalk was destroyed as well.
    Wow I spent many summers there as a kid.