1. #1 I know this sounds alarmist and I don't want anyone to think I'm some liberal crank p 
    link

Conservatives believing in the sanctity of life and so being against abortion and the liberal delusion that conservatives want a theocracy and think women "belong in the kitchen" is worse than the Taliban, honor killings and oppression of women in the Muslim world. Right. One wonders what world they live in.
    WCGreen (43,372 posts)

I know this sounds alarmist and I don't want anyone to think I'm some liberal crank pot....

But I don't want to be the Democratic Cassandra who saw into the future but no one was willing to listen to her either...

So, at the risk of being pidgin holed, let me bring this up:

What is more dangerous to the American Way of life as we define it here more than a decade into the 21st century, the Muslim Taliban who have embraced the superstitions of the 8th century or the US republicans who are taking dead aim at the modern world we have built with reason, education and debunking superstition.

We looked in horror, well. I believed at the time it was in horror, when the Taliban destroyed ancient artifacts because they didn't align with their world view. i remember watching them blow up ancient Buddha statuary that was carved into the side of a cliff.

If we don't stop this decent back to the "good old days" of back alley abortions, people being forced to worship and women were, well best suited for working in the home right NOW, it will happen.

I've seen a lot a trying times in this country, race riots, student protests ending in death, lynching and all the rest that we thought was fading into the past. But now I see the rise of the "reasoned" conservatives who disguise their extremism in self-centered economics that appeals to that much admired "American Spirit."

Well, if we aren't more vigilant, that American Spirit will be crushed by the onslaught of Old Testament fire and brimstone. You can take that to the bank.
    amborin (11,177 posts)

4. fight our ayatollahs. and make sure Obama wins!

or we have a mormon state, on top of the evangelicals, etc.
    MADem (79,083 posts)

5. I think the GOP are the American Taliban. They put ideology over fact, they have zero regard for

women, they look askance at simple science, and they want to return to a day of tribal loyalties, replete with chiefs and overlords, all men, of course, and women subservient, in their place.

I enjoy that MAD MEN tv show, but I can't help but think that a lot of this "retro" television, where the plot lines are set back in the "good old days" before equal opportunity and workplace protections, that one side effect of these programs is that they are teaching young people, who haven't grown up with those attitudes or circumstances, that this old school lifestyle has a few charms. Nothing could be further from the truth. The good old days weren't so good for a lot of people, particularly if you had a little melanin in your skin or you checked the F instead of M block on any application for school or employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    link

Conservatives believing in the sanctity of life and so being against abortion and the liberal delusion that conservatives want a theocracy and think women "belong in the kitchen" is worse than the Taliban, honor killings and oppression of women in the Muslim world. Right. One wonders what world they live in.
    These people are idiots.

They make a facile, glib comparison between Christians in the Republican Party and radical, America-hating Muslims, while embracing leaders who repeatedly kowtow to to those Muslims (sometimes literally), in order to score cheap political points.

Liberals are perfectly willing to lose wars in order to gain power. They are Quislings.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I just shake my head when I read threads like that one.

People like the DUmmies need to be kept out of power, they are dangerous.
    May the FORCE be with you!