Thread: Windows 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Windows 8 
    Windows 8 is available now, does anyone have experience with it, is it worth a 69.00 upgrade to 8 pro?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Windows 8 is available now, does anyone have experience with it, is it worth a 69.00 upgrade to 8 pro?
    It is very different than previous versions. Perhaps you could go to BestBuys or some retailer and play with it on one of their display machines.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Take it for what its worth, I have friends that are computer savvy and say its good but not loads better then 7.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It is very different than previous versions. Perhaps you could go to BestBuys or some retailer and play with it on one of their display machines.
    I have 3 good laptops, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to put it on one.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Are there many driver issues?

I bet I could clone the drive in one of my computers and put the upgrade on that, I could exchange drives to see how I like it, my experience is that sooner or later you need to switch over to the new operating systems anyway.
    I might break down and buy a small SSD.

I'm sticking with Win 7 as it's working fine for me and I don't need to upgrade anytime soon.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    I'm sticking with Win 7 as it's working fine for me and I don't need to upgrade anytime soon.
    I am too, i heard 8 isn't worth the trouble. What is with windoze? its like every other operating system is good.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I was a beta tester for 8. It is basically the same thing as 7, except they took things out and put things in.

For example:

1) They now have it where it doesn't go to the desktop at start up, instead it goes to a tile screen. When you click on the one of the tiles, it opens the program in full scree. For example; when you click on the Internet explorer icon, it will open Internet Explorer in full screen.

There is no way to get it to go straight to the desktop. Microsoft blocked all ways of doing it.

2) They took the start button out. Now to get to things you have to hit hot spots on the screen. Like if you move your cursor to the bottom right corner, it will open the options tab on the right hand side of the screen. In there it will give you the options of the start up tile screen, Explorer window, etc.

3) They made it a techies nightmare. You now have to take multiple steps to get to system setup and administrator functions. With the lack of the start button, they took what was a easy couple of seconds to get to somewhere, to a couple of minutes to find it.

They basically added more of a learning curve for the computer illiterate, and caused more of a hassle for businesses. With how you can't go straight to the desktop, there is not going to be that many businesses using it. They will either stick with XP or 7 ....

Their main function was to bring Windows Mobile to the desktop and optimize it for touchscreens. This is not sitting well for a lot of people.

As for my opinion. I am waiting until Windows 9 comes out. Hopefully by then they will put the start button back in, and take the tile screen out, or at least make it where you can go straight to the desktop. I am not looking for it to sell all that well.

As a side note: I do have a Mac, that is what I use; but I also use windows on special occasions.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Thanks Luke, I think SLW and I will stay with 7.
    May the FORCE be with you!