Thread: State: Gay marriage to begin June 17 in California

Hybrid View

1. #1 State: Gay marriage to begin June 17 in California 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California counties can issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples beginning June 17, the state said in a directive issued Wednesday.

The state Office of Vital Records said it chose June 17 because the state Supreme Court has until the close of business on June 16 to decide whether to grant a stay of its May 15 ruling legalizing gay marriage.

Gay rights advocates and some clerks initially thought couples would be able to wed as early as Saturday, June 14—exactly 30 days after the court's ruling, when its decisions typically take effect.

But a group opposed to gay marriage has asked the court to stay its decision until after the November election, when voters are likely to face a ballot initiative that would once again define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Passage of the initiative would overrule the Supreme Court.

Under the Supreme Court's regular rules of procedure, justices have until the end of the day on June 16 to rule on the stay request, according to the memo sent by e-mail to the state's 58 county clerks. Lawyers involved in the marriage case have said previously the court could grant itself an extra 60 days to consider the stay.

The guidelines from Mark Horton, director of the California Department of Public Health, also contained copies of new marriage forms that include lines for "Party A" and "Party B" instead of bridge and groom. The gender-neutral nomenclature was developed in consultation with county clerks, according to the letter.

"Effective June 17, 2008, only the enclosed new forms may be issued for the issuance of marriage licenses in California," the directive reads.
    LINK

On my birthday, of all days. We need a puke smilie.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Thank you as usual, LL.

I'm glad I don't live in California, although, I think Arizona may not be far behind with a similar measure.

We are becoming California-lite it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I'm glad I don't live in California, although, I think Arizona may not be far behind with a similar measure.

We are becoming California-lite it seems.

Just ask your state rep to write a bill banning out-migrants from California.:D

If only that were legal.

In '06, Arizona became the first state to NOT pass a resolution recognizing marriage as between one man and one woman. Our state legislature is trying to get it on the ballot again this November. I'm not holding out much hope that this one will pass either.

It saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    LINK

On my birthday, of all days. We need a puke smilie.
    My birthday too! Grrrr to them!
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

If you look at survey data an overwhelming amout of young adults (18-29) favor gay marriage...It is about 2-1 in support...This suggests it's only a matter of time before gay marriage is legal in the United States.

Initiative to ban gay marriage qualifies for California ballot
    Associated Press
    Article Launched: 06/02/2008 05:43:10 PM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO - The Secretary of State says an initiative that would again outlaw gay marriage in California has qualified for the November ballot. California Secretary of State Debra Bowen says a random check of signatures submitted by the measure's sponsors showed that they had gathered enough for it to be put to voters.

The measure would amend the state constitution to define marriage as a union "between a man and a woman."If it is approved by a majority of voters on Nov. 4, it would overturn the recent California Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage in the state.

California public health officials already have amended marriage license applications and told local officials to start issuing them to same-sex couples on June 17.

So who gets the final say? Voters or Judges?