Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perilloux View Post
    Gays already have the same rights as heterosexuals.
    Depends where you live.. not when it comes to things like power of attorney and visitation rights in hospitals, taxes etc etc.

Either way, I'm with logan on this one. It's not important in the scheme of things.

Let some ignorant folks stew in their homophobia and get all worked up over something ridiculously and utterly inconsequential.. just makes them look like fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Ron Paul (despite him being crazy) has the point pretty down pat. Young Americans arent scared of gays or homosexuality, because we arent ignorant and do not fear whatever we dont understand. Gay marriage will become legal in the USA by the end of this decade. All these "family research councels" are going to do nothing to change that.

edit- Rebel Yell's sig quote is hilarious... because thats the exact opposite of what the movie was trying to say.
    Is this better for ya? I thought about your kind when I heard this Tuesday.

Burnett: I was told it might be possible to rent your boat. We'd like to do that. Is that possible? We need to get up river.
    John J. Rambo: Where are you going?
    Burnett: Into Burma.
    John J. Rambo: Burma's a warzone.
    Burnett: Well, that's what people call it, but it's more like genocide than war. Anyway, this will be my fifth trip in, so we are aware of the risks.
    John J. Rambo: I don't go that far north.
    Burnett: Let me explain our situation - our church is part of a Pan-Asian ministry, located in Colorado. We are all volunteers, who around this time of year bring in medical supplies, medical attention, prayer books, and support to the Karen tribes people. People say you know the river better than anyone.
    John J. Rambo: They ain't lying.
    Burnett: So what I'm asking is that we compensate you for a few hours of your time that will help change people's lives.
    John J. Rambo: Are you bringing any weapons?
    Burnett: Of course not.
    John J. Rambo: You're not changing anything.
    Burnett: Well, it's thinking like that that keeps the world the way it is.
    John J. Rambo: [walking away] Fuck the world.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Depends where you live.. not when it comes to things like power of attorney and visitation rights in hospitals, taxes etc etc.
    Actually gays do have the same rights as heterosexuals in this area. A gay man has hospital visitation rights to see his wife if she is in the hospital. He can file a joint tax return with his wife. In fact, he can enjoy every advantage that a straight man can enjoy.

The fact that fags don't enjoy the right to marry other men isn't discrimination. As a straight male, I don't have the right to marry another man either.

Could you please explain what 'rights' pillow biters do not enjoy?

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Actually gays do have the same rights as heterosexuals in this area. A gay man has hospital visitation rights to see his wife if she is in the hospital. He can file a joint tax return with his wife. In fact, he can enjoy every advantage that a straight man can enjoy.

The fact that fags don't enjoy the right to marry other men isn't discrimination. As a straight male, I don't have the right to marry another man either.

Thank you. I would like to add that you can make anyone your power of attorney. If Adam wants Steve to be his Power of Attorney, then he needs to do the paperwork. If Adam gets in bad shape without making Steve his Power of Attorney, that's not discrimination, it's piss poor planning.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Patent Member
    I didn't want to touch the power of attorney stuff because I don't know the extent of the overlap between power of attorney and marriage. You're right that you can give power of attorney to whomever you want tho.

I used to support gay marriage. Then the decision came down in Massachusettes and I realized what a mistake I was making. Gay marriage is not about providing 'equal rights' to homosexuals, it is about social acceptance of perversion and depravity. There really is a homosexual agenda, and it really is out to destroy our society. These people are the fringe of our society, and they are being granted special treatment in the guise of "human rights." It is only a matter of time until polygamy, beastiality, and eventually pedophilia become the next talking points for 'equal rights.'

The Left is never content with the status quo. Conservatives need to draw a line in the sand and say "no further." Equal treatment for blacks and women, Conservatives said "You're right, we need to fix this." Then liberals wanted social acceptance of promiscuity, and Conservatives said "OK, we'll stay out of your bedroom." Acceptance of recreational drug use, destruction of the family through welfare, abortion, decreasing the role of religion in public life...these are all areas where Conservatives were willing to give a little bit.

Lilberals are trying to destroy our society and Capitalism one step at a time, and too many people are content to say "OK, we will let you take this step, but not the next one." In 10 years when NAMBLA is having government sponsored recruiting fairs at the local elementary school and the Marines are prohibited from setting foot within 100 yards of a high school, are you going to say "Well, OK" and let them take yet another step? Or will you finally stop and say "hang on, that is too far?"

My line in the sand is here. I wonder where it is for the some of the gay marriage supporters.

I didn't want to touch the power of attorney stuff because I don't know the extent of the overlap between power of attorney and marriage. You're right that you can give power of attorney to whomever you want tho.

I used to support gay marriage. Then the decision came down in Massachusettes and I realized what a mistake I was making. Gay marriage is not about providing 'equal rights' to homosexuals, it is about social acceptance of perversion and depravity. There really is a homosexual agenda, and it really is out to destroy our society. These people are the fringe of our society, and they are being granted special treatment in the guise of "human rights." It is only a matter of time until polygamy, beastiality, and eventually pedophilia become the next talking points for 'equal rights.'

The Left is never content with the status quo. Conservatives need to draw a line in the sand and say "no further." Equal treatment for blacks and women, Conservatives said "You're right, we need to fix this." Then liberals wanted social acceptance of promiscuity, and Conservatives said "OK, we'll stay out of your bedroom." Acceptance of recreational drug use, destruction of the family through welfare, abortion, decreasing the role of religion in public life...these are all areas where Conservatives were willing to give a little bit.

Lilberals are trying to destroy our society and Capitalism one step at a time, and too many people are content to say "OK, we will let you take this step, but not the next one." In 10 years when NAMBLA is having government sponsored recruiting fairs at the local elementary school and the Marines are prohibited from setting foot within 100 yards of a high school, are you going to say "Well, OK" and let them take yet another step? Or will you finally stop and say "hang on, that is too far?"

My line in the sand is here. I wonder where it is for the some of the gay marriage supporters.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Banned

What a class act.

You have a right to visit your partner in the hospital. In some places, homosexuals do not, even though some may have a level of commitment not even present in the 50%+ of straight marriages that fail. They are being denied their rights in those places, period.

It makes you wonder though, if allowing gay marriage might improve the overall marriage failure statistics? Would that be "harming the institution" of marriage?

But hey.. Support social conservatism! It puts the "homo" back in homophobia!

Patent Member
    What a class act.
    Thank you.

You have a right to visit your partner in the hospital. In some places, homosexuals do not, even though some may have a level of commitment not even present in the 50%+ of straight marriages that fail. They are being denied their rights in those places, period.
    Actually no, I don't have the right to visit my partner in the hospital. If I were not married (maybe to avoid the responsibility), I wouldn't have any right to visit my 'partner' in the hospital, male or female. If I were married and having an affair, I similarly wouldn't have any right to visit my 'partner' in the hospital.

Since the rest of your points depend on this basic assumption, the rest of your post is nonsensical.

It makes you wonder though, if allowing gay marriage might improve the overall marriage failure statistics? Would that be "harming the institution" of marriage?
    So we should destroy marriage on speculation that gays may not get divorced as much as straights? You can hopefully see how absurd this is.

A quick google search turned up this website:
    "Gay male couples were 50% more likely to divorce within an eight-year period than were heterosexuals; and lesbian couples were 167% more likely to divorce than heterosexual couples."

If "lowering the divorce rate" is the stated goal, then legalizing gay marriage would be disastrous towards this goal. Nice try again.

But hey.. Support social conservatism! It puts the "homo" back in homophobia!
    I never said I was afraid of homosexuals. On a less linguistic note, what the hell does "homo" have to do with Conservativism? You might as well say "Liberals, putting the 'late' back in belated!"

Thank you.

Actually no, I don't have the right to visit my partner in the hospital. If I were not married (maybe to avoid the responsibility), I wouldn't have any right to visit my 'partner' in the hospital, male or female. If I were married and having an affair, I similarly wouldn't have any right to visit my 'partner' in the hospital.

Since the rest of your points depend on this basic assumption, the rest of your post is nonsensical.

So we should destroy marriage on speculation that gays may not get divorced as much as straights? You can hopefully see how absurd this is.

A quick google search turned up this website:
    "Gay male couples were 50% more likely to divorce within an eight-year period than were heterosexuals; and lesbian couples were 167% more likely to divorce than heterosexual couples."

If "lowering the divorce rate" is the stated goal, then legalizing gay marriage would be disastrous towards this goal. Nice try again.

I never said I was afraid of homosexuals. On a less linguistic note, what the hell does "homo" have to do with Conservativism? You might as well say "Liberals, putting the 'late' back in belated!"
    All this from someone called bicat?:D

Well said, biccat!