Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I loved the people bitching that the picture was taken in September. Sentiment still stands.
    That picture might be old, but this one isn't:

Caption reads:

This handout photo provided by the us Army shows Spc. Brett Hyde, Tomb Sentinel, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), keeping guard over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during Hurricane Sandy, at Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Monday, Oct. 29, 2012. Just like the Sentinel's Creed says "Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability." (AP Photo/Sgt. Jose A. Torres Jr.,/U.S. Army Photo)

Men of unparalleled honor.

M00, yes, the Sentinels do have certain different clothing from GI. The shoes are specially padded for the march on the pad, they get special support socks, and I believe that their coats are different from standard. I'm fairly sure that there are special gloves as well. Someone did a TV piece on the Sentinels not too terribly long ago (PBS? History? one of those types of channels, anyway), with interesting info about the life as a Sentinel. It's really almost a monastic existence: you sleep where they tell you to, eat what they tell you to, you are always on call, you must have a haircut no less than once per week, you must shave no more than thirty minutes before going on duty, etc., etc., etc. These men who seek this duty (and it is sought; only about 20% of those who try out for this make the cut) really have a very special dedication to this duty.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    That picture might be old, but this one isn't:

Caption reads:

This handout photo provided by the us Army shows Spc. Brett Hyde, Tomb Sentinel, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), keeping guard over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during Hurricane Sandy, at Arlington National Cemetery, Va., Monday, Oct. 29, 2012. Just like the Sentinel's Creed says "Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements, I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability." (AP Photo/Sgt. Jose A. Torres Jr.,/U.S. Army Photo)

Men of unparalleled honor.

M00, yes, the Sentinels do have certain different clothing from GI. The shoes are specially padded for the march on the pad, they get special support socks, and I believe that their coats are different from standard. I'm fairly sure that there are special gloves as well. Someone did a TV piece on the Sentinels not too terribly long ago (PBS? History? one of those types of channels, anyway), with interesting info about the life as a Sentinel. It's really almost a monastic existence: you sleep where they tell you to, eat what they tell you to, you are always on call, you must have a haircut no less than once per week, you must shave no more than thirty minutes before going on duty, etc., etc., etc. These men who seek this duty (and it is sought; only about 20% of those who try out for this make the cut) really have a very special dedication to this duty.
    Anything I could say... would be insufficient...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.