1. #1 Sandy and the Election 
    I hate to sound like a paranoid DUer but I wonder if Obama might use the damage caused by the storm to delay the election? Wouldn't it be ironic if after all the times libs claimed that Bush would do something like that, it turned out that a lib President actually pulled the trigger.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I was thinking about that as well. DC, Baltimore, New York, all gonna get wrecked by it. In the meantime the "red" rural area's will fair better and it'll be easier for them to get out and vote on the 6th. It could turn a close election into a flat out sweep.

I have got to wonder though, does Obama have the power to delay the election? It was a law enacted by congress setting the day, I'd imagine Congress would have to be on hand to alter it. The House would never let it go through.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I hate to sound like a paranoid DUer but I wonder if Obama might use the damage caused by the storm to delay the election? Wouldn't it be ironic if after all the times libs claimed that Bush would do something like that, it turned out that a lib President actually pulled the trigger.
    "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."
    Barack Obama

Hang on hang on, turned the weather knob the wrong direction, fixing fixing......................
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

To those who doubt the power of the Almighty, sometimes things get take away from folks like the Annointed One, who thinks that he is in control.

There are forces for good, as well as evil, in the world. Maybe God is trying to tell us something.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Doesn't really matter. NJ, NY, Delaware, Mass. are all heavily in Obama's column.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

States decide how elections occur. The only federal requirement (outside of stuff like HAVA) is the day that elections must occur (and I think the polls have to remain open for at least 8 daylight hours on that day).

That dingbat governor of Maryland was on one of the news shows tonight talking about how they're re-arranging early voting hours to add in time that was lost today and will be lost tomorrow.

At least within the law, Obama doesn't actually have the authority to change election day (neither did Bush) W/R/T federal elections, even if there were a genuine emergency that required it. Of course, we all know how much Obama likes to closely adhere to the law, so take that for what it's worth. But really, this storm will mostly be a distant memory in a week anyway, so I don't think that he could really exploit it even if he wanted to.

Furthermore, as NJCardFan pointed out, it's almost exclusively solid blue states that are affected. The only one that's up for grabs is Pennsylvania, and the early reports there say that the damage is relatively light. Plus, I don't think that Obama wants to wait one second for the polls to close because every moment he waits, Romney is gaining on him, plus more and more stuff is trickling out about Benghazi, which only serves to harm him.

So I don't think I'd worry about Obama cancelling the elections and declaring marshall law. I doubt very sincerely that he would do that, particularly when it's to his own detriment.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

I think FEMA and the states affected are so far doing a pretty good job of handling the storm, so I'm guessing the elections will be held as scheduled.