Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Atlantic City needed a makeover anyway.
    As for the dumb Mayor, it's a piss poor neighborhood right outside of the boardwalk. This is a way to get more government money for those po' people, like Nagin did for Nawlins.

"Everything dies, baby, that's a fact
    Maybe everything that dies will some day come back
    Put your make up on, fix your hair up pretty
    and meet me tonight in Atlantic City".

Bruce Springsteen

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Actually, they are now criticizing him. He's "praising" Obama for the federal money.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...02&pid=1666924

You can't please those morons. If I was a state Gov. the last people I'd be concerned about are the fools at DUmmieLand.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    Stupid Langford:

Atlantic City mayor on Gov. Christie's rebuke: 'Misinformed and ill-advised'

Atlantic City mayor Lorenzo Langford escalated tensions with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie after the mayor said Tuesday he would welcome the chance “to confront the governor mano y mano” over how he handled the city’s evacuation during Hurricane Sandy.

A day earlier, Christie had criticized Langford as a “rogue mayor” for supposedly encouraging residents to ride out the storm in designated shelters rather than leave the area entirely.

He told TODAY’s Matt Lauer on Tuesday that Atlantic City residents received mixed messages from his executive order requiring everyone to evacuate and Langford’s encouragement to take cover instead.

“I feel badly for the folks in Atlantic City who listened to him and sheltered in Atlantic City, and I guess my anger has turned to sympathy for those folks, and we’re in the midst now of trying to go in and save them,” Christie said.

Langford strongly denied the characterization of what happened, saying the governor was “either misinformed and ill-advised, or simply just deciding to prevaricate.”

“I’m telling you that is absolutely false and the governor needs to be challenged,” he said. “Where did he get that information? He is dead wrong.”

New Jersey's Governor Chris Christie talks to TODAY's Matt Lauer about his disappointment with Mayor Lorenzo Langford's "mixed messages," saying "I feel badly for the folks in Atlantic City who listened to him."

Officials estimate that as much as 80 percent of Atlantic City was under water at high tide Monday during the brunt of the storm. Water as much as eight feet deep surged through the streets. Christie said both state and federal search and rescue teams arrived on site early Tuesday morning to help those stranded in their homes or at shelter sites.

Langford accused Christie of turning the situation into a political battle.

“Here we are in throes of a major catastrophe and the governor has chosen a time such as this to play politics. I think it’s reprehensible that he would stoop to the level to try and make a political situation out of something that is so serious as this situation,” he said.

During a news conference Monday, Christie said Langford encouraged residents to take shelter at designated sites because he “didn’t want his people leaving the city.”

“I don’t have a feud with the guy, but I wish he’d do his job," he said at the time. He also tweeted, “I am very disappointed in those who did not listen to my order to evacuate.”

Langford refuted the charge, saying most Atlantic City residents did evacuate, as ordered.

"Unfortunately, there will always be those who did not heed that warning," he said. "We had a plan in place for those few residents who would decide at the last minute that they would not try to heed our warning and vacate the city but would try to hunker down, tough it out, only to find at some other time that they wanted to flee. We had that contingency plan in place."

Power CUer
    BARRY CALLED LANGFORD DURING HIS PRESS CONFERENCE:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...176307821.html

Said how willing he was to help AC.

Tell me that's not politics 101.

dmr (25,490 posts)
    11. He said on the Today Show that the Prez was "Outstanding"

Quietly, to himself, I bet he's hoping for an Obama reelection.
    Yeah, riiiiiiight.

Hey, DUmmie, he endorsed Romney even before the debates.

flamingdem (19,636 posts)
    50. Ok, but Christie dumps it like everyone has a way out of the situation and FU

THAT is not presidential, Obama would know that there are those who have trouble getting out, he'd NEVER say that, this is the point
    So Christie isn't presidential because he speaks plainly and tells the truth? There ya have it folks.

Christie was right to tell everyone to get away from the coastline. He knew that once the storm hit, there would be a period of time when no emergency crews or rescue operations would be able to make it to help people who stay behind. And, the point is avoiding that from being necessary to begin with, so resources can be used to clean up and rebuild.

If the mayor was going to stay behind the evacuation and personally operate the shelter of last resort, I guess that would be okay. Otherwise, it's a waste of personnel and operating money that could be used in better ways. And, it's a risk to anyone who would work at that shelter, a risk that could be very costly to the city should that employee get injured in the storm.

Power CUer
    North of Atlantic City Boardwalk--destroyed. Most of the Boardwalk came through ok.

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    It's crazy to stay in Atlantic City on a nice day. The evacuation order should have been given about forty years ago.
    I was going to put all my New Jersey jokes aside until I saw this post.....nothing else now needs to be said.