Thread: Help, need suggestions for easy to make appetizer

1. #1 Help, need suggestions for easy to make appetizer 
    We're going to our friends home this weekend. I volunteered to bring something, and she asked if I could bring an appetizer.

I need some suggestions on something that's easy to make, looks like I took a long time, and doesn't include spinach, mushrooms or seafood (have health problems with them).

Would appreciate any help for some time-tested recipes that you've used.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

The easiest and nicest thing to make are quiches. You just buy the pre-made crusts and fill it with whatever you like and bake. You can serve them warm or room temperature.

I usually do a broccoli & cheddar or spinach, bacon and swiss. But you can really customize it to your taste. Something like ham, swiss and a green.

I usually pan fry whichever ingredients I decide to use with an onion. Place at the bottom of the pie, then fill with egg/cream mixture, top with cheese and bake. Just make sure you season with S & P.

You can find many different combos online. Easy, fast, delicious and fancy.

Depends a bit on what this is for. If by "appetizer," it can be something like cheese and crackers, then a couple quick and easy ideas come to mind:

1. Cream cheese and olive. Set out one block of cream cheese for several hours to soften (or you can nuke it a few seconds if you take it out of the foil). In a bowl, fold in about one tablespoon of mayonnaise (or sour cream if you prefer; this is just to soften the mix a bit and make it more spreadable) and one small (~6 oz.) jar of sliced salad olives. Mix well, and you can either put this out with sturdy crackers (the garden herb Triscuits are particularly good with this), or you can make small sandwiches with small bread or even make something like petit-fours by just cutting up a sandwich on regular-sized white or wheat bread.

2. Spicy cheese block. Super-easy. Just soften a block of cream cheese, place it in a dish with a relatively tall lip, and cover it with Picapeppa sauce. Serve with butter crackers like Ritz or Town House, or water crackers for a little bit more elegant look.

If you need something a little more substantial, like a first course, then small quiches like Hawkgirl suggested are a good idea. You can also do wraps pretty easily, and you can make almost anything in a wrap. Personal favorite: on a flour tortilla, spread apple butter, add chunk turkey (not the sliced stuff from the deli), and a strip or two of bacon. You can add a little extra zing with some honey mustard.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

SLW, am delighted to suggest something for you. Super, super, simple and always looks great on the tray!

Home-made Crostini.

Crostini is just a fancy name for baguette slices that have been brushed with oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and baked until golden brown.

I place them in an overlapped petal design on a round canape tray, surrounding a bowl of your favorite dip or spread.

Ingredients ...

- 1 baguette sliced 1/4 inch thick (mine are always slightly thicker)
    - salt & pepper (& garlic powder if desired)
    - olive oil

Directions ...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange baguette slices on baking sheets; brush both sides *lightly* with oil, and season with salt and pepper.

Bake until golden brown, approx. 15 mins. (Depending on your own oven ... mine is a fast oven, takes only about 12 mins.) WATCH THEM!!!

Should be done on both sides, no need to turn over, unless necessary.

Let cool on baking sheets.

How does that sound for simple?

===================

* Edited to add: Men eat them even without the dip, they are really crunchy!
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 10-29-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Antipasto,

A tray with multiple compartments (you can get them at Party City if you want disposables)

Arrange items like:

assorted olives
    roasted red peppers
    hard cheeses, cut into small wedges
    sopressata or genoa salami, deli sliced
    caponata (we make our own, but you can buy it)

OR a fast but elegant appetizer
    Figs wrapped with prosciutto
    or
    honey dew melon wrapped with prosciutto

Here's a good dip I got from a friend a year or so ago........

Mustard Dip

1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup dried onions
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
    8 ounces prepared yellow mustard
    8 ounces sour cream
    8 ounces mayonnaise

It's a quick dip that is full of flavor--tangy, sweet, and a bit spicy. I especially love it with pretzels, but it is actually quite versatile and it can be used with anything dipable. Even as a sauce on pork or chicken.
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Thanks everyone. I've got enough ideas for this weekend and for the Christmas season. I might go with the antipasto, as it should hold up better taking it to their house. I'm not sure how far away they live, so not sure about something warm.

Since we will be home alone for Christmas, think will make it a happier season by inviting more friends to the house.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"