Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Mayan calendar to expire in under 100 days 
    Better grab your bucket list: There's less than 100 days left for you to finish it off -- if you believe in the Mayan apocalypse.

December 21 is the end of days. Or, perhaps it's the 23rd ... Interpreting the Mayan calendar is not a precision science. But what we know is the "Long Count" and "Dresden Codex" calendars of the ages of the Earth do expire in December. Maybe.

And, according to a thriving industry of books, television documentaries and web blogs, that means it's time to kiss everything goodbye.

New Agers around the world have been busy preparing for the event in recent years. Blast shelter sales have soared in the United States, and some remote villages have been cashing-in on the hype by offering "refuge" packages.

Exactly how the world will end is a confused topic, however.

Some say it will be consumed by a black hole. Some say it will be hit by an asteroid. Others say the ancient gods will return and consume everything in their rage.

Many ethnic Mayans dismiss the apocalyptic hype as a Western invention. Everybody knows that, rather than an end of time, the inscriptions refer to a new era, they say.

Mayan calendar math is also somewhat difficult to interpret.

It is based on a 260-day ceremonial cycle, the 365-day orbit of the Sun, the 584-day cycle of Venus and the 780-day cycle of Mars.

These were used to determine the "ages of the Earth," which varied between roughly 900 years through to 6,700 years in duration.

A measure of time popularized by New Age theorists is the baktun, a 144,000-day cycle that repeats only 13 times on the Dresden Codex. And this is the basis for the "end of the world" speculation for December 21.

Besides, calendars older than the "Long Count" -- such as that found at Xultun in Guatemala -- cast their counts some 7,000 years into the future. Xultun predates the Codex by some 500 years.

And, like our calendars, the end of the page does not mean the end of the world.

"It's like the odometer of a car, with the Maya calendar rolling from the 120,000 to 130,000," said Anthony Aveni, professor of astronomy and anthropology at Colgate University in a report earlier this year. "The car gets a step closer to the junkyard as the numbers turn over; the Maya just start over."

So, it's time to quickly get that bucket list together and start enjoying yourself.

The Earth is due for a trade-in.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...#ixzz26anjJMSp
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Time to head to the liquor store and grocery store and max those credit cards out, who cares who the president will be!

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Just in time for Barry Lobotomys second term. Makes sense.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Just in time for Barry Lobotomys second term. Makes sense.
    I have a team of experts looking into if we can call this whole thing off if Romney wins, it is the consensus of all the experts that if we toss Nova into an active volcano the old ones may spare the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I have a team of experts looking into if we can call this whole thing off if Romney wins, it is the consensus of all the experts that if we toss Nova into an active volcano the old ones may spare the earth.
    Are you saying Nova is a virgin?
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Volcanoes only accept virgins for sacrifice.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Are you saying Nova is a virgin?
    He has never known the tender touch of a woman.

Fabulous Poster
    Better grab your bucket list: There's less than 100 days left for you to finish it off -- if you believe in the Mayan apocalypse.

December 21 is the end of days. Or, perhaps it's the 23rd ... Interpreting the Mayan calendar is not a precision science. But what we know is the "Long Count" and "Dresden Codex" calendars of the ages of the Earth do expire in December. Maybe.

And, according to a thriving industry of books, television documentaries and web blogs, that means it's time to kiss everything goodbye.

New Agers around the world have been busy preparing for the event in recent years. Blast shelter sales have soared in the United States, and some remote villages have been cashing-in on the hype by offering "refuge" packages.

Exactly how the world will end is a confused topic, however.

Some say it will be consumed by a black hole. Some say it will be hit by an asteroid. Others say the ancient gods will return and consume everything in their rage.

Many ethnic Mayans dismiss the apocalyptic hype as a Western invention. Everybody knows that, rather than an end of time, the inscriptions refer to a new era, they say.

Mayan calendar math is also somewhat difficult to interpret.

It is based on a 260-day ceremonial cycle, the 365-day orbit of the Sun, the 584-day cycle of Venus and the 780-day cycle of Mars.

These were used to determine the "ages of the Earth," which varied between roughly 900 years through to 6,700 years in duration.

A measure of time popularized by New Age theorists is the baktun, a 144,000-day cycle that repeats only 13 times on the Dresden Codex. And this is the basis for the "end of the world" speculation for December 21.

Besides, calendars older than the "Long Count" -- such as that found at Xultun in Guatemala -- cast their counts some 7,000 years into the future. Xultun predates the Codex by some 500 years.

And, like our calendars, the end of the page does not mean the end of the world.

"It's like the odometer of a car, with the Maya calendar rolling from the 120,000 to 130,000," said Anthony Aveni, professor of astronomy and anthropology at Colgate University in a report earlier this year. "The car gets a step closer to the junkyard as the numbers turn over; the Maya just start over."

So, it's time to quickly get that bucket list together and start enjoying yourself.

The Earth is due for a trade-in.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/...#ixzz26anjJMSp
    I can't wait. There are some illegal aliens and members of Mecha and La Raza whose noses I want to rub in it. They go on about the fact that "my ancestors" (few if any of them can prove they were here before Columbus) invented a calendar that was accurate to an ant's asshole. Well, we'll see won't we?

I'd actually love to be in Sedona to Taos for the event. It would be worth a couple of days in jail for slapping the stupid off hippies.

He has never known the tender touch of a woman.
    Did you poll pillows???
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

The Mayan calendar already expired. In fact it was last summer. They didn't take into account leap year when they made it.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _