Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 TV Is Gayer Than Ever This Season. 
    More Homosexuals Found on Prime-Time TV, Study Says

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
    By Staff, Associated Press

New York (AP) - Broadcast television will have 16 gay and bisexual regular characters in prime-time series this fall, more than double the seven of a year ago, a new study has found.

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation said it was a positive sign of networks making their shows more representative, although more work needed to be done. These characters accounted for 2.6 percent of all the regular characters in TV series, up from 1.1 percent last year and 1.3 percent in 2006, according to the study, released Monday.

GLAAD President Neil Giuliano singled out Fox for having five such regular characters this fall, considering there were none a year earlier. The character Thirteen on "House" is bisexual, while the new "Do Not Disturb" has a gay man.

None of the 126 regular characters on CBS shows are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, GLAAD said, and only one recurring character - Brad on "Rules of Engagement - is gay.

ABC will have seven characters that are either gay men or bisexual women this fall, NBC will have three and the CW will have one, according to GLAAD.

A total of 19 recurring characters, those who appear only time to time, fit the category, GLAAD said. That's up from 13 a year ago.

The number of regular characters fitting the definition fell from 40 to 32 on mainstream cable networks, a count that doesn't include the gay-oriented networks Logo and here!

There were no lesbians among the regular characters, according to GLAAD. But there are five bisexual women, including the characters of Callie Torres and Erica Hahn on ABC's "Grey's Anatomy."

"As the networks gradually add characters from all backgrounds and all walks of life to prime-time programming, more and more Americans are seeing their LGBT friends and neighbors reflected on the small screen," Giuliano said.

The lobbying group has been monitoring the presence of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender characters on TV for four years.
    I watch almost no broadcast or prime time TV. I've never seen any of these shows. One show I will be dropping this season, however, is America's Next Top Model. This is a goofy reality show where girls compete to win a modeling contract. It's funny and bizarre. This season it will feature a transsexual and that's too bizarre for me.

Modeling already calls for a body-type that eludes 98% of genetic females (thank you, gay designers!). Now hormonally altered men and boys will compete against genetic women to see who displays the ideal model's figure and charm. The transsexual won't win this time, of course, but as it becomes more mainstream he will. Next, life will imitate TV and there will be no call for genetic female models when designers can dress up tanorexic boys who lack such distressing features as hips and breasts.

So, no Top Model for me this season.

Power CUer
    I've never seen any of those shows, and "Top Model", "Dancing with Stars" and stuff like that have never interested me. I do like "Clean House", because I can't believe people really live that way (and yet, there is photographic proof that they do), and I get to be a voyeur.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

gator
    I have a general rule; when they start showing queers I switch the channel.

I don't reward bad behavior.

I watch virtually no network shows. I do watch too many "reality" shows on TLC and Bravo. They are very gay-populated.:o

Project Runway, Shear Genius, Top Design, even House Hunters seems to be squishy.

Banned
    I watch a lot of the reality cooking shows, Kitchen Nightmares, No Reservations, Top Chef. The latter has had a number of gay contestants, including a Lesbian who won the competition in a recent season.

TV's come a long way from the time in which the only "gay show" was one about a horny hetero pretending to be gay so he could live with two broads...

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I have a general rule; when they start showing queers I switch the channel.

I don't reward bad behavior.
    Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Same here...
    SO, you don't watch football?

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've never seen any of those shows, and "Top Model", "Dancing with Stars" and stuff like that have never interested me. I do like "Clean House", because I can't believe people really live that way (and yet, there is photographic proof that they do), and I get to be a voyeur.
    I record "Clean House" on my DVR. The Brit one is better, however. The American version just entails clutter and bad decor while the Brit version showcases genuine squalor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I watch a lot of the reality cooking shows, Kitchen Nightmares, No Reservations, Top Chef. The latter has had a number of gay contestants, including a Lesbian who won the competition in a recent season.

TV's come a long way from the time in which the only "gay show" was one about a horny hetero pretending to be gay so he could live with two broads...

Not that there's anything wrong with that! :D
    Don't forget the crossdressers!! Made one guy famous and sent one to oblivion!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I record "Clean House" on my DVR. The Brit one is better, however. The American version just entails clutter and bad decor while the Brit version showcases genuine squalor.
    Is that the one where they send muck to the lab in test tubes? They are a hoot.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken