1. #1 African painted dogs in Pittsburg Zoo Kill a 2 year old child 
    http://t.news.msn.com/us/update-2-ye...pa-zoo-exhibit

An AP article. Follow the link to see why you shouldn't put a 2 year old on top of a railing over an area with an 11-14 foot drop (depending on zoo's or police's version). This happened at the Pittsburgh Zoo, which was closed yesterday after the incident.

A two year old child died after falling into the painted dog exhibit. These are very endangered African wild dogs. Apparently some must be available to zoos, as I saw a sign at the St Louis Zoo, where they are constructing a new painted dog exhibit.

Zoos can take all the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of both zoo visitors and animals, but sometimes you just can't anticipate people doing very foolish things.

The St Louis Zoo had a cheetah escape for a brief time some years ago shortly after they had opened a new exhibit. They thought that the moat was deep enough, but they didn't anticipate the leaping ability of a female cheetah who wasn't accepting the advances of the male cheetah. No one was hurt. The cheetahs were tame enough that the keepers could go in and walk in the enclosure with them. That's not going to happen with the other big cats. Needless to say, the heavy equipment came out and that moat got a whole lot deeper. It's been fine since, but it sure gave some zoo visitors there at the time something to talk about. The keeper just came and put a collar on the animal and led it back.

What are your opinions on this subject?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

I saw this on the news-how stupid are people that they would put a 2 year old on a railing like that? I'll bet they still sue the zoo for damages.

I hope they don't put down the dogs over this. It's not their fault. They're cute pups.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I saw this on the news-how stupid are people that they would put a 2 year old on a railing like that? I'll bet they still sue the zoo for damages.

I hope they don't put down the dogs over this. It's not their fault. They're cute pups.
    One of them was shot by the Pittsburgh police when it wouldn't back off the body.. the others backed off when called away by the keepers.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

And mark my words, out will come the lawyers and sue the zoo on behalf of the family. IMO the mother should be put in jail for life over this. There's a reason why you keep your distance from wild animals and putting a kid up on the railing is about as stupid a thing to do. And the fact that that poor animal had to be killed because of the stupidity of this child's mother disgusts me.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And mark my words, out will come the lawyers and sue the zoo on behalf of the family. IMO the mother should be put in jail for life over this. There's a reason why you keep your distance from wild animals and putting a kid up on the railing is about as stupid a thing to do. And the fact that that poor animal had to be killed because of the stupidity of this child's mother disgusts me.
    Glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. After volunteering on the weekends at the St Louis Zoo for 20 years, I saw so many parents acting stupid. I've had to explain that there are wild animals in those enclosures, not cute little stuffed animals. I had to yell at one drunk guy who had climbed over an enclosure and was dangling his arm over the polar bear pit. Lots of folks balance their kiddos on the rails. Absolute, utter stupidity.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW