Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Teeth: The Final Frontier. Brits Versus Yanks. 
    American v British teeth

By Vanessa Barford
    BBC News

Ricky Gervais is the first to admit that his teeth are neither white nor straight - and Americans mistakenly think he wears bad false teeth for comedic purposes. Why the dental divide?

British teeth are not like American teeth.

Hollywood smiles are pearly white paragons of straightness. British teeth might be described as having character.

These are my real teeth. You think I'd wear them all the time if they weren't real? Ricky Gervais' reply to interviewer remarking on his 'false teeth'

So much character, in fact, that Ricky Gervais says one US journalist complimented him on being prepared to wear unflattering false teeth for his role as an English dentist in his latest film, Ghost Town. Only he didn't.

"He was horrified that I could have such horrible real teeth. It's like the biggest difference between the Brits and the Americans, they are obsessed with perfect teeth," says Gervais.

Unlike many British stars hoping to make it big across the Atlantic, Gervais hasn't bought himself a Hollywood Smile.

But what is it about the bright white and perfectly straight teeth of Los Angeles that Americans love - and expect of their public figures?

"Americans have the idea uniformity is equivalent to looking good. The British character is more free-spirited, more radical," says Professor Liz Kay, dean of the Peninsula Dental School in Exeter and Plymouth.

She says Americans aspire to a row of teeth which are absolutely even and white.

Artificial smile

Whiter than white, it transpires. Teeth naturally vary in colour and the palette can tend closer to cream than white.

"US teeth are sometimes whiter than it is physically possible to get in nature - there is a new reality out there. The most extreme tooth bleaching is terrifying, it looks like it's painted with gloss paint and has altered what people perceive as normal," says Professor Jimmy Steele, of the School of Dental Science at Newcastle University.

The British traditionally prefer "nice natural smiles - natural in colour", he says, and have had a more functional view of teeth and dentistry, whereas Americans have always seen teeth more aesthetically, hence the rise of the artificial smile in show business and pop culture.

(snip)

But Brits haven't embraced the full Hollywood makeover - yet.

"Americans don't mind this unnaturally white look. It's a new phenomenon, like buying a Rolls Royce and telling the world. They are wearing a smile as a badge," says Mr Fallowfield.

Nor do aspiring actors and actresses need to get a new and very expensive set of pearly-whites, says Sylvia Young, of the eponymous theatre school. "A trip to the orthodontist can be a good idea, to get the teeth straightened if need be."

As for the likes of Ricky Gervais, it makes sense to stick to his guns, says Mr Fallowfield.

"A lot of people in his place would have had their teeth fixed in this day and age. But for comedians, it's good to look unique."
    I have to say that glow-in-the-dark teeth strike me as kind of creepy but the British indifference to crooked or missing teeth strikes me as creepy in a different way. Is it a hygiene issue? Fluoridation? Culture?

Like most Americans, I go to the dentist every 6 months (I just went on Monday) and I spend time flossing and brushing everyday. I've never had my teeth whitened. I do wear a retainer type of thing at night to protect my teeth but that's it.

What say you? Are Americans obsessed with perfect teeth? What do you do to yours? Would you get veneers or other cosmetic dental procedures? Are the Brits just kind of backward in the dentistry department?

BBC

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I sometimes go the dentist more than twice a year. I had braces as an early teen and am very fortunate that I have "good" teeth. I've used the white strips before but didn't like them. I don't know what the heck is wrong with the Brits. The first thing I look at when meeting somebody is their teeth. (well, aside from their weight:p)
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I have to say that glow-in-the-dark teeth strike me as kind of creepy but the British indifference to crooked or missing teeth strikes me as creepy in a different way. Is it a hygiene issue? Fluoridation? Culture?

Like most Americans, I go to the dentist every 6 months (I just went on Monday) and I spend time flossing and brushing everyday. I've never had my teeth whitened. I do wear a retainer type of thing at night to protect my teeth but that's it.

What say you? Are Americans obsessed with perfect teeth? What do you do to yours? Would you get veneers or other cosmetic dental procedures? Are the Brits just kind of backward in the dentistry department?

BBC
    It must be the water in the UK.Most young woman in Scotland wear false teeth by eighteen and they all love sweets especially chocolate .

I guess that punctuation is more important than dental hygiene in the U.K.?

Australia is the same way with many young girls with false teeth at an early age .China is by far the worst for bad teeth, they haven't many dentists !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It must be the water in the UK.Most young woman in Scotland wear false teeth by eighteen and they all love sweets especially chocolate .
    But why are their teeth so bad? Do they just ignore flossing and brushing or is it a lack of dental care providers or what?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    But why are their teeth so bad? Do they just ignore flossing and brushing or is it a lack of dental care providers or what?
    Too much tea?:D
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

The enamel is soft and the surface is pitted from all of the sweets they eat.I'm not sure about brushing after eating .

noonwitch
    Part of it is genetics. My grandma's family is from England, and they all have bad teeth. So do I. I wore braces as a teen, had my wisdom teeth removed because they were impacted, and have had lots of cavities, despite growing up in the first city in the country to add flouride to the water.
    The british have a genetic tendency to have a jaw that is too small for a full mouth of teeth, so if they don't remove some and align the rest, they get crooked and they decay.

My mom has the same problems, my grandma lost all her teeth at age 40 and so did one of my uncles. My dentist is good at what she does, so I am lucky.

"They"

Two of your mods are Brits.

And both of us have perfect teeth. :p

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    "They"

Two of your mods are Brits.

And both of us have perfect teeth. :p
    Ah, but you are half German At least in your admiration's !:D