Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 how do you feel about Chihuahuas? 
    Fabulous Poster
    I'm thinking about looking to adopt a Chihuahua. I met a lady who was walking her Chihuahua and asked her if he was yappy and nervous and she said that neither he nor her other "baby" were yappy or shaky.

What's your experience? I think they are so cute, and I would name her MIA (my illegal alien).

They are very good dogs especially in a climate like Florida, i have found them to be harder to house train and you need to be very diligent and stay on them.
    Good little dogs with a lot of heart.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

When you pick a Chihuahua, take a look at the long haired variety. I had some close experience with one and he was a wonderfully bright dog. Always knew what I was doing, and was right with me.

I have developed a routine for choosing puppies that seems to work for me:
    Take the puppy and hold it right in front of your face. Watch for him to 'lock on' to you. If he doesn't, go on to another puppy.
    Then, when he 'locks on', blow gently in his face. If he tries to bite your breath and squirm around to play with you, then that's your dog.

When you try this you will be amazed at the number of dogs who don't even notice that they have been picked up. A little sad, I think.

Oh yeah. The spayed females always make the best pets, to me. (Applies to people, too!)

Good Luck!

My wife has one. He's awesome. Rotten, but awesome. She now says the only two breeds of dog she wants is a Chihuahua or Pit Bull, because they're both just soooo sweet.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Great dogs. I have two. Very sensitive and very loving. Kinda tough to potty train at first, but once they get it they are great at telling you when. They don't handle the cold, so you have to have them as inside dogs I always thought they were yappy dogs I would hate, but it's the way you raise them that makes the difference. But they are lots of fun.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I'm thinking about looking to adopt a Chihuahua. I met a lady who was walking her Chihuahua and asked her if he was yappy and nervous and she said that neither he nor her other "baby" were yappy or shaky.

What's your experience? I think they are so cute, and I would name her MIA (my illegal alien).
    I had one and his name was Jayden but my Girlfriend couldn't handle him, he was a bit high strung but he was very friendly and lovable. I was on the road 5 days a week so i couldn't force her to take care of him while I was away. (well in spirit he was mine but she owned him) I wish I could have him back and I liked him more then most people
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Great dogs. I have two. Very sensitive and very loving. Kinda tough to potty train at first, but once they get it they are great at telling you when. They don't handle the cold, so you have to have them as inside dogs I always thought they were yappy dogs I would hate, but it's the way you raise them that makes the difference. But they are lots of fun.
    I always called them rat dogs and hated them till he came into my life. I laughed at couples who called their dogs their "kids" but Now i understand. I had outfits for the cold for him.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I prefer bigger dogs, being a single female who lives alone and all, both for security and in lieu of an electric blanket on cold winter nights. When my 14 year old Katie is no longer with me, I think I'm getting a Siberian Huskie, if I can't find another Norwegian Elkhound.

That said, they are the perfect dog for someone with allergies. Even the long-hair version is less allergy-affecting than my norgie.

Friend of mine has one. Pain in the ass little spoiled shit. Makes a good head rest on the back of the seat in the truck,until it starts licking your ears. Also hooked on McDonald hamburgers, plain burger on a bun no fixin's
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Friend of mine has one. Pain in the ass little spoiled shit. Makes a good head rest on the back of the seat in the truck,until it starts licking your ears. Also hooked on McDonald hamburgers, plain burger on a bun no fixin's
    I think you just sold me on them. It never occurred to me that he could ride on the back of the truck seat and look out the rear glass. Why he'd hardly be any tribble at all.