1. #1 The most important lessons from last night for Republicans 
    I know a lot of you won't agree with me, but here it goes;

1. No candidate is perfect. When you have a big, heaping plate of shit in front of you to eat, but are then offered a skirt steak, don't complain and cry because it isn't a filet mignon. Eat the skirt steak. Because if not, you'll be eating shit. Republicans need to learn if they piss and moan because their exact guy wasn't nominated, or a candidate isn't Ronald Reagan Incarnate, they will keep losing. Same thing for right-leaning Indies. The Democrats have no problem voting for a lesser-candidate; all the Hillary supporters who hated Barack got out and voted for him to keep a Republican out, both times.

2. Early voting is an instrumental necessity now. Democrats know that a large portion of their electorate can't be trusted to get out and vote on election day, so they spend the month prior stuffing absentee ballots in the faces of whomever they can the month before election day. Republicans MUST adopt a similar tactic with early voting, or they will keep being overwhelmed whenever their turnout falls short of perfect.

3. When it comes to the fundamentals of campaigning, the dickhead always wins. When Obama said McCain was out of touch because he couldn't type due to war injuries, people didn't think Obama was being an insensitive asshole, they though "hey, McCain can't even write an e-mail". Same thing with Romney and Obama; playing the nice guy doesn't work.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free.

1. Nominate a candidate that actually appeals to people. Romney didn't appeal to anyone, not the base, not independents. I think he had the best chance out of a crappy Republican field this time around, but it's what it is. There are some attractive Republican candidates out there that will likely run in 2016.

2. Dead on. Early voting is very important now that you can vote so early. I'm surprised they haven't opened up early voting for 2016 yet. Getting people to vote early is going to be key.

3. Stop being afraid of being called names and go on the attack. Both McCain and Romney were passive in attacking Obama. The Democrats have absolutely no shame in running a dirty campaign. Fight back.

4. If someone runs a dirty campaign against you, address the issues they are raising. Hold a press conference explaining why it is BS. Run counter attack ads. Do something. Call the other guy out on it. Otherwise, it just festers in the minds of people that don't really pay attention.

Bottom line. There are enough people that don't really pay attention and make up their minds in the last minute to sway an election. Before Hurricane Sandy Romney was up 5-7 points in Gallup. After the Hurricane, that closed to 1 point with Obama having momentum. That's a 4-6 point swing from a photo op and a natural disaster. If even half of that swing didn't happen, Romney won the election despite his flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    1. Nominate a candidate that actually appeals to people. Romney didn't appeal to anyone, not the base, not independents. I think he had the best chance out of a crappy Republican field this time around, but it's what it is. There are some attractive Republican candidates out there that will likely run in 2016.
    Be that as it may, this falls on anyone who identifies themselves as a Republican. Too many Republicans got all butthurt because their candidate didn't get the nomination(Paulbots, I'm looking at you) and decided to throw a hissy fit instead of backing the candidate that was chosen. Because of this, we now have 4 more years of the worst president in history. Think on this: this is like Jimmy Carter getting re-elected in 1980 only worse. Say what you want about the left and the Democrats but they back their candidate no matter what. I also blame the Tea Party movement for not helping out here and Ron Paul himself. Thanks to these people getting all butthurt, it paved the way for an Obama re-election. All Romney needed was the same turnout McCain got and the results would have been much different.

2. Dead on. Early voting is very important now that you can vote so early. I'm surprised they haven't opened up early voting for 2016 yet. Getting people to vote early is going to be key.
    Republicans need to embrace this idea. According to the exit polls, the demographic that was needed and didn't show up were seniors. Local Republicans need to organize getting the seniors out early.

3. Stop being afraid of being called names and go on the attack. Both McCain and Romney were passive in attacking Obama. The Democrats have absolutely no shame in running a dirty campaign. Fight back.
    Couldn't agree more. Never once did I see an ad from either the Romney campaign or a super pac fighting back against the ads like the one blaming Romney for a woman's death or the one where Ryan is seen pushing granny over a cliff. Sometimes you have to sink to their level. Obama ran a filthy dirty campaign and in the end it paid off.

4. If someone runs a dirty campaign against you, address the issues they are raising. Hold a press conference explaining why it is BS. Run counter attack ads. Do something. Call the other guy out on it. Otherwise, it just festers in the minds of people that don't really pay attention.
    Again, spot on. Romney needed to call Obama out in one of the debates on this. Make Obama look like an idiot by saying something along the lines like "Mr. President, it is beneath the office that you hold to run this kind of campaign." In truth, it's time to get as dirty.

Bottom line. There are enough people that don't really pay attention and make up their minds in the last minute to sway an election. Before Hurricane Sandy Romney was up 5-7 points in Gallup. After the Hurricane, that closed to 1 point with Obama having momentum. That's a 4-6 point swing from a photo op and a natural disaster. If even half of that swing didn't happen, Romney won the election despite his flaws.
    Romney blew it in the waning days. He should have been in NY talking to these people then his people should have been running ads showing the Obama/Christie ass kissing fest then showing people still hurting and using a theme of "when the cameras stop rolling, the pain does not". Again, Romney blew a golden opportunity but then again, he dropped the ball so many times in his campaign that I wanted to send him a gallon of stick 'em.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.