1. #1 Favorite Thanksgiving recipes 
    I'm so discouraged about the election, need to think happier thoughts. What could be more pleasant than good food, especially tasty Thanksgiving food?

How about a thread posting some of your favorite tried and true Thanksgiving recipes?

I watched Rachel Ray's show today. She suggested adding some parsnips to the taters boiling in the water for those smashed potatoes. She suggested putting in one of those soft cheeses, garlic flavor, 1 8oz package per 4 servings (about 2 1/2 lbs combined potatoes and parsnips) or adding sharp white cheddar cheese with a dash of nutmeg. She said the parsnips would give it a more interesting flavor. Oh, yeah, add a bit of butter and milk with the potatoes when mashing.

Has anyone tried this? Do you think the parsnips would ruin the recipe?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    Since our "gathering" is so small (five or less on average) we have eliminated almost everything except our favorites.

turkey
    dressing
    gravy
    sweet potato fluff
    corn bread
    cranberry sauce
    pumpkin pie
    mince meat pie

I like a lot of the casseroles you find at larger gatherings, but we just don't need that much food or leftovers.

Since only a few of us moved to Florida, we also now have a small group. But my mom still makes all the usual staples.

I always bring a pie, usually a sweet potato pie that everyone loves. I'll post the recipe when I find it.

Everyone's mother makes the best stuffing but I could sustain myself on mine's sausage stuffing 3x a day until they put me in the ground. Which would probably be less than a year after 3 times a day sausage stuffing.

I'm not posting the recipe.

PS - Greenbean casserole blows in every way, shape and form.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Everyone's mother makes the best stuffing but I could sustain myself on mine's sausage stuffing 3x a day until they put me in the ground. Which would probably be less than a year after 3 times a day sausage stuffing.

My mom also makes a sausage stuffing with rice, mushrooms and parmigiano cheese.

The stuffing sounds good!

During the summer everyone's mother makes the best potato salad, and during the winter the best chili....

Thanksgivng will just be me and my mom. Some years I cook, some years we go out to eat.

I'm leaning towards cooking this year.

My mother will be joining us for Thanksgiving this year, for which Im very happy. As JB said, everyones mom does the best stuffing, and that's certainly true for mine.

Got ourselves a nice 20lb turkey. With a bit of luck I'll be securing some venison tenderloin a few days before as well. We'll be mostly sticking to the staples though. Potatos, Turkey Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Green Bean Casserole, and a few pies. Honestly I'm not sure what else we may do, but I'm sure there will be some other options. It's mostly just to feed the immediate family, but I'll be bringing some in for the folks who have to remain on shift that evening.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    My mom also makes a sausage stuffing with rice, mushrooms and parmigiano cheese.
    Hawk!

I want the recipe to try, please, please ... although may leave out the cheese.

The only thing I used to like about my *dearly* departed mother-in-law (not really, I didn't get along with her) was her delightful sausage stuffing.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

I agree 100% with you!
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Hawk!

I want the recipe to try, please, please ... although may leave out the cheese.
    The only thing I used to like about my *dearly* departed mother-in-law (not really, I didn't get along with her) was her delightful sausage stuffing.

It is pretty simple.

Saute onions, fresh, sliced white mushrooms and sausage(out of it's castings, we use regular italian sausage) in olive oil and butter.
    Mix with cooked white rice, add some grated parmigiano or romano cheese, Then crack a few eggs in a different bowl and add when the cooked stuffing is cooled. S & P and Oregano. Stuff into an uncooked bird. It will expand as it cooks inside the turkey so do not pack it in. We put in the usual cavity as well as the front, in the neck. The juices of the bird coat the stuffing and it comes out moist and delicious.