Thread: A Video: Voters Guide for Serious Catholics !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A Video: Voters Guide for Serious Catholics ! 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    ICYMI: Video: Voters Guide for Serious Catholics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSEaDov37R0

You can see the video version of the Voters Guide for Serious Catholics from Catholic
    Answers Actions at YouTube. Video at link

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    ICYMI: Video: Voters Guide for Serious Catholics

You can see the video version of the Voters Guide for Serious Catholics from Catholic
    Answers Actions at YouTube. Video at link
    At first I thought that video might be decent, it started out sensible enough... then it went of the deep end with the usual litany of the poster boy religious issues and basically infers that placing any issues above these at the ballot box risks punishment in the afterlife.

Several philosophical errors in that video... Largest among them would be the assumption that laws regarding the issues it covers are effective and will actually have a positive effect towards the desired goal. Why should you vote on these moral issues if you feel any or most laws regarding them, or government as a whole will be mostly powerless to make change? If that is the case, it would actually be morally wrong to give these issues higher precedence over other issues for which government exerts a more powerful and direct influence, such as the economy, and war, even if overall you feel these issues are more important to society. They, of course, leave no room for this type of common sense.

Then on top of their philosophical assumptions, they have all the usual suspects of factual errors about "the issues" in there as well. Embryonic stem cells are still important in research, adult stem cells are not equal in all areas. They are also very vague about cloning... therapeutic cloning isnt necessarily incompatible with Catholicism since embryo's don't have to be destroyed. Typical marriage fallacies... such as the assumption that marriage has been and always was the same as it is now, that the institution has not ever been changed or adapted.

Another philosophical fallacy they threw out there was that "no act of compassion can cause harm to a person"... tough love anyone??! You might disagree with how it applies to euthanasia, but since this was the only reason they gave that makes euthanasia evil in their estimation, I have to say its a load of crap.

If they value human life so much... where is the advice on candidates who support war?

The one good piece of advice was the part about not voting for a candidate because they share the same religion as you.

This video gets: Two thumbs down!
    Last edited by wilbur; 09-24-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    At first I thought that video might be decent, it started out sensible enough... then it went of the deep end with the usual litany of the poster boy religious issues and basically infers that placing any issues above these at the ballot box risks punishment in the afterlife.

Several philosophical errors in that video... its premise is extremely questionable. This would be the assumption that laws regarding the issues above are effective and will actually have a positive effect towards the desired goal. Why should you vote on these moral issues if you feel any or most laws regarding them, or government as a whole will be mostly powerless to make change? If that is the case, it would actually be morally wrong to give these issues higher precedence over other issues for which government exerts a more powerful and direct influence, such as the economy, and war, even if overall you feel these issues are more important to society. They, of course, leave no room for this type of common sense.

Then on top of their philosophical assumptions, they have all the usual suspects of factual errors about "the issues" in there as well. Embryonic stem cells are still important in research, adult stem cells are not equal in all areas. They are also very vague about cloning... therapeutic cloning isnt necessarily incompatible with Catholicism since embryo's don't have to be destroyed. Typical marriage fallacies... such as the assumption that marriage has and always was the same as it is now, that the institution has not ever been changed or adapted.

Another philosophical fallacy they threw out there was that "no act of compassion can cause harm to a person"... tough love anyone??! You might disagree with how it applies to euthanasia, but since this was the only reason they gave that makes euthanasia evil in their estimation, I have to say its a load of crap.

If they value human life so much... where is the advice on candidates who support war?

The one good piece of advice was the part about not voting for a candidate because they share the same religion as you.

Roger Ebert is that you ?
    Am I to take it that you didn't like it ?

Banned
    Roger Ebert is that you ?
    Am I to take it that you didn't like it ?
    No, I outlined why above.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    At first I thought that video might be decent <clip>
    Are you Roman Catholic?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Are you Roman Catholic?
    Surely you jest,wilber is an old snake charmer from the swamps !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Are you Roman Catholic?
    Good voting advice should transcend religion, I would think. It sounded at first like it might be something more than the usual prattle that one expects from such a video.

My biggest issue, aside from disagreeing on 100% of the issues they raised (I can at least sympathize with the POV, slightly), and the gross factual errors, is that they, in typical fashion, hammered you over the head with the notion that if you don't vote a certain way on these issues, you are sinning. I guess its a sin to depart with what Catholic theologians think the proper or most effective role of government is? It's a sin to understand that economic issues have far greater consequences for life on this planet than abortion and stem cell research?

It seems extremely immoral and dangerous to coerce the faithful in such a way. Its like spiritual blackmail.

I am a Roman Catholic by birth, but as megs pointed out, I obviously reject it.
    Last edited by wilbur; 09-24-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I don't think you get to pick and choose if you really follow your religion...especially Catholicism.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I don't think you get to pick and choose if you really follow your religion...especially Catholicism.
    No you don't .Some of the most blatant Catholic haters are former Catholics with issues that they have never even tried to resolve within the church !

Banned
    No you don't .Some of the most blatant Catholic haters are former Catholics with issues that they have never even tried to resolve within the church !
    I tend to have more respect for Catholics and Christians with a more "reasonable faith" than I do for indefensible literalists, or Muslims for example.

However, I wasnt suggesting a Catholic should choose to go against the church in deciding that the mentioned issues arent important, just that they should make their own decisions about what the role of government in those issues should be. The unquestioned assumption behind the logic in this little video was that the heavy hand of government is the solution to all these issues.

We can all agree that Catholics everywhere find poverty a deplorable thing, yet still believe its not a sin to vote for a politician who votes against welfare programs.
    Last edited by wilbur; 09-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.