Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Update on my daughter being slapped at school for celebrating President Obama's win 
    Mortos (2,086 posts)

View profile
    Update on my daughter being slapped at school for celebrating President Obama's win
    I have spent a lot of time during the last two days talking to my daughter about what happened and what she thinks should be done to resolve it. She is very bright and contemplative. She asked me not to go to the school and raise hell until she tried to talk to the girls involved. She did and made a little bit of progress with them. She communicated to one girl, who has been a friend up until that point, that she didn't like being smacked and the girl half ass apologized. My daughter is not exhibiting signs of fear about going to school or trying to get out of going and every day I greet her arrival from the bus we talk about what happened and how she is feeling. She has friends at the school and there are other kids who are either different races, sexual orientation, political affiliation or religions who deal with many of the same issues she has.

I am going to have lunch with her Monday and sit at a table with at least one of the children involved...and we are going to have a discussion about accepting people's differences and how very inappropriate it is to use physical violence against anyone, especially a friend. I am going to look directly into the eyes of the child that hit mine while I am saying this without yelling, threatening or directly implicating her. I am also going to wear my Obama t-shirt and talk about how proud I am of our president.

My daughter wants me to help her start an anti-bullying club. I am going to talk to the administration about how we go about doing that. We talked about the goals of the club and how we could get people involved. I am very proud of my daughter and her resolve to make something positive out of something negative.

I am not going to call the police, the secret service, my right wing red neck southern baptist congressman or sue the school or teacher over the misguided actions and brazen schoolyard talk of 11 and 12 year old kids. I am going to attempt to teach my daughter a valuable lesson about overcoming adversity and sticking to principles especially when it gets difficult and other people don't agree with you and even when they attack you. Hopefully, together, we will teach the same thing to some of the kids at her school and start a movement that will help to protect other kids from similar harassment now and in the future.

Thanks DU for you passion and advice. I read all the comments and considered many of the things you guys suggested.

Here is the original post:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021764928
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021779707

If another parent sat down and did that with my kid....shit would hit the fan!!
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    ...shit would hit the fan!!
    While still inside the intestine.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Oh for Christ sake!!! What a load of horseshit!!! Now it's going to be Obama victory 's
    May the FORCE be with you!

I am going to have lunch with her Monday and sit at a table with at least one of the children involved...and we are going to have a discussion about accepting people's differences and how very inappropriate it is to use physical violence against anyone, especially a friend. I am going to look directly into the eyes of the child that hit mine while I am saying this without yelling, threatening or directly implicating her. I am also going to wear my Obama t-shirt and talk about how proud I am of our president.
    So she is going to explain that it is not right for a conservative to slap someone, but it is o.k for a liberals to scream, claw, spit at, threaten to kill, plan a bombing of a bridge, destroy private property, crap on cop cars, and scratch at anyone who disagrees with them. She will probably also tell the little child how all the people who spoke out against obama are liars who don't know the truth, and she will proceed to tell her what that truth is (according to her).

If I was the child parents I would be there with her and the second that stupid generation welfare bum liberal opens her mouth, I would tell her to shut her fat lazy ass face.

I love it when the stupid try to explain what they think is the right way to people. They just dig into the stupid pit even more.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

What? Huh? Who are these people? Stay away from my kid you stupid F*&*ing Bi*&h.

I hope she leaves the school in handcuffs.

PS - Schools are closed on Monday. Veterans Day. It would be nice if you knew that. Dick.
    Be Not Afraid.

Not a single person in that thread realized that JB.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not a single person in that thread realized that JB.
    Frankly, I would have been shocked if they did jonesy.

There are a couple scary exchanges in that thread as to the mindset of these freaks:

bettyellen (17,625 posts)

49. I disagree- and bet that kid has NO good guidance from home and teachers will just

Not make a real principled stand either.
    Someone who cares about truly cares about ethics and kindness needs to have a talk with this kid. For probably the first time in her life. Its not about scaring the bully or who is weak, but what is just and kind. Mortos is a fine person to deliver the message.
    I love how they're the arbiters of ethics and kindness. They're actually encouraging this DUmmy to "have a talk" with someone else's kid. A complete stranger, sitting down and lecturing someone else's child. I can not figure out who these people think they are. They just casually discuss it like there's nothing wrong with that.

No matter that the kid has parents and the teachers aren't getting involved but yeah, let's have some random stranger just indoctrinate school children like it's their job.

Fine. I'm sure they won't mind when I go into the schools and have some conversations. Sheesh.

Naturally Bush gets blamed in the thread. Buy guns people. Lots of guns. Get carry permits too.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Frankly, I would have been shocked if they did jonesy.

There are a couple scary exchanges in that thread as to the mindset of these freaks:

I love how they're the arbiters of ethics and kindness. They're actually encouraging this DUmmy to "have a talk" with someone else's kid. A complete stranger, sitting down and lecturing someone else's child. I can not figure out who these people think they are. They just casually discuss it like there's nothing wrong with that.

No matter that the kid has parents and the teachers aren't getting involved but yeah, let's have some random stranger just indoctrinate school children like it's their job.

Fine. I'm sure they won't mind when I go into the schools and have some conversations. Sheesh.

Naturally Bush gets blamed in the thread. Buy guns people. Lots of guns. Get carry permits too.
    I know where that kind of talk happens, at CHURCH. Send that little heathen to a Christian Church for penance, that'll teach her.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I am also going to wear my Obama t-shirt and talk about how proud I am of our president.
    You deserve a good slapping too.

If Mortos' kid got hit at school by another student, and this other student was her daughter's friend, the proper course is for Mortos to call the other little girl's mother and let her handle it. Most mothers do not want their children slapping other kids on impulse.

Going to school, talking to the other children without their parents present, and giving a pep talk on a pResident that much of thes country loathes is NOT the right thing to do.