Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1 China using massive surveillance grid to stop Tibetan self-immolation 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,132
    China has revealed it is using a massive surveillance camera network to cover restive areas of Tibet and bring to an end a grisly wave of self-immolations.
    By Malcolm Moore, and Tom Phillips in Beijing

    4:56PM GMT 09 Nov 2012

    Officials at the 18th party Congress claimed yesterday that the 'Skynet’ network has divided the region into a closely monitored grid and that teams of security personnel can be mobilised within two minutes to put an end to the suicide attempts.

    Six Tibetans have doused themselves with petrol and set themselves alight since the eve of China’s once-in-a-decade leadership change on Wednesday bringing to 69 the number who are reported to have died in the past year.

    Yesterday (FRI), thousands of students marched in protest in Rebkhong county, Qinghai province, according to Free Tibet, an activist group, and armed police stepped up their presence.

    Speaking at the Congress in Beijing Losang Gyaltsen, the vice chairman of the local government in Tibet, said: “We do not want to see such incidents,” he said. “We do not want anyone to spoil Tibet as a happy region. For locals, we are checking IDs and for visitors we have checkpoints and security checks on travel.

    “We also have a grid management system, so if any immolation happens in a certain block, we can launch an emergency rescue within two minutes,” he added.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...mmolation.html

    It looks like The Tibetans are all fired up about something.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    A little education goes a long way in the Tibet issue. Speaking in terms of facts about Tibet at DU was guaranteed to generate a quick response and threats of pizza. For some reason, the people at DU have it in their heads that Tibet is the moral equivalent of the American Indian and that it happened in recent memory. They have not bothered to study the history of Tibet or its strategic value to China. For their part, the conservatives tend to ignore that China's geographic footprint is pretty much the same today as it was 500 years ago.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    A little education goes a long way in the Tibet issue. Speaking in terms of facts about Tibet at DU was guaranteed to generate a quick response and threats of pizza. For some reason, the people at DU have it in their heads that Tibet is the moral equivalent of the American Indian and that it happened in recent memory. They have not bothered to study the history of Tibet or its strategic value to China. For their part, the conservatives tend to ignore that China's geographic footprint is pretty much the same today as it was 500 years ago.
    Tibet's "strategic value to China"?
    I will ask you to expand upon that statement. British Columbia and Nova Scotia both have strategic value to America, but as far as I am aware there is no plan to annex them in spite of their "strategic value".

    And "footprint the same as it was 500 years ago"? So?

    You attempt to stake out personal positions which are superior to everyone. Lots of luck.

    Jeez, Nova......
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Tibet's "strategic value to China"?
    I will ask you to expand upon that statement.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/...P2305020080325

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    British Columbia and Nova Scotia both have strategic value to America, but as far as I am aware there is no plan to annex them in spite of their "strategic value".
    Neither BC nor NS have been ruled by the US in the past. By the same token, neither BC nor NS have the headwaters of a river that is essential to a massive neighbor which is presumed to be an enemy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Tibet's "strategic value to China"?
    I will ask you to expand upon that statement. British Columbia and Nova Scotia both have strategic value to America, but as far as I am aware there is no plan to annex them in spite of their "strategic value".

    And "footprint the same as it was 500 years ago"? So?

    You attempt to stake out personal positions which are superior to everyone. Lots of luck.

    Jeez, Nova......
    Nova is taking the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach to this.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Nova is taking the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach to this.
    To kindly explain please.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    What nonsense! The article you linked talks about ancient trade routes during the 7th century, and 'unresolved brooder disputes with India. Gad!, do the Indians know about this?

    And, "Developing infrastructure in Tibet and nearby provinces with large Tibetan communities is a major part of China's Western Development Campaign.".....What The Hell, Nova? Wouldn't want to deprive China of any "development opportunities", now would we?

    And this: "Tibet is dubbed 'Asia's Water Tower'. The Qinghai-Tibet Plateau is a crucial water source and store for China, whose unevenly distributed water resources are said to be in crisis.".....LOL! They've got water! Let's get 'em!

    And this: " Geologists say Tibet has significant crude oil and natural gas reserves. But its harsh, high-altitude terrain makes extraction costly and challenging, and there is no significant commercial production at present.".....Oil, TOO! CHARGE!!

    I've decided the house you live in is 'strategically important' to me. Watch out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    To kindly explain please.
    You're defending China in their oppression of Tibet...justifying it actually.

    China...despite your fellow travelers stating otherwise is an aggressive foe of the U.S.

    The U.S. supports efforts of those wanting a free Tibet.

    Get the picture now or do I need to bust out the crayons?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You're defending China in their oppression of Tibet...justifying it actually.

    China...despite your fellow travelers stating otherwise is an aggressive foe of the U.S.

    The U.S. supports efforts of those wanting a free Tibet.

    Get the picture now or do I need to bust out the crayons?
    You have very strange perceptions. You consider me a foe of the US because I support universal single payer healthcare (which you have had, might have now, or will have in the future) and equal rights for gay people? And you think that would put me in league with Mainland China which has neither USP or G=? Why would you need crayons to explain that?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You have very strange perceptions. You consider me a foe of the US because I support universal single payer healthcare (which you have had, might have now, or will have in the future) and equal rights for gay people? And you think that would put me in league with Mainland China which has neither USP or G=? Why would you need crayons to explain that?
    You are aware of what self -immolation is aren't you?
    They aren't trying to stop Tibetans from masturbating.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •