Thread: Emergency Food

Hybrid View

1. #1 Emergency Food 
    I don't know how many or who stores back an extra food supply but I stumbled onto the Mormon store while looking for canned flour, there is absolutely no one that can approach their price on canned long life staples like flour, whole wheat flour, rice, oatmeal dried pinto beans all packaged for long life in # 10 cans sold in cases of 6 for 28.00 -35.00 per case depending on product, their shipping is free and you need not be a church member you just sign up as a store member or use guest checkout.
    http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stor...57345616897723

For peanut butter, Tuna and many other canned products I use Amazon, sign up for Amazon prime and you will save a bundle if you stick with Amazon prime Items.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Most of our stock is WIC supplied. They have us by a jar of peanut butter every two weeks, we also get various other foods that just end up piling up because we don't eat them as fast as they provide them.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Most of our stock is WIC supplied. They have us by a jar of peanut butter every two weeks, we also get various other foods that just end up piling up because we don't eat them as fast as they provide them.
    I have friends who get government food, we have a lot of native Americans here and I get a lot of their surplus.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

We went with a prepackaged supply house a year or so back. We keep an unopened container of 56 meals in the hall closet. Cost about $100. Came in a big plastic container.

My sister sneered mockingly, when I told her what I had done, but caught herself and tried to hide the sneer. Nice try, Sis. But I saw it.
    http://wisefoodstorage.com/gourmet-e...food-kits.html
    We keep it for ice storms, tornadoes and the like where we can't get out and Kroger is cleaned out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    We went with a prepackaged supply house a year or so back. We keep an unopened container of 56 meals in the hall closet. Cost about $100. Came in a big plastic container.

My sister sneered mockingly, when I told her what I had done, but caught herself and tried to hide the sneer. Nice try, Sis. But I saw it.
    I bet if you asked a lot of people in New York and New Jersey they wouldn't sneer.
    I have kept an emergency supply of food since I left home many years ago, at minimum 6 months. it has helped me many a time when times were hard and there were surprise layoffs, preparedness is nothing to mock, it is responsibility.

That's a great site Rock. Mormon site is one of the better places to buys stuff and get ideas. I don't have time to do it tonight, but I'll try to find some other links I have saved this kind of stuff.

I just keep a bunch a couple months supply of MREs I collected from the military over the years.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I bet if you asked a lot of people in New York and New Jersey they wouldn't sneer.
    I have kept an emergency supply of food since I left home many years ago, at minimum 6 months. it has helped me many a time when times were hard and there were surprise layoffs, preparedness is nothing to mock, it is responsibility.
    Mormon doctrine notwithstanding, I would say that from personal observation that oriental people are probably the best supplied of the population who is not what Glenn Beck calls a "prepper". They buy rice in 20 pound bags and boxes and boxes of dried noodles, dried mushrooms, and lots of other stuff that keeps.

I only keep rice, eggs, frozen vegetables, some tomatoes, popping corn, and some frozen fish in my house, but Mom and I could get by for a month or two from the stuff she has on hand. It wouldn't be a great month, but I'll bet that cake batter and creamed corn fritters isn't half bad.

8. #8 Re: Emergency Food 
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    More likely turkeys. They're having those big Thanksgiving sales on turkeys here. Both Pulix and Sweetbay have the frozen ones for 59 cents a pound. I plan to get at least 4 of them and dump them in the freezer. The freezer with the refrigerator doesn't have enough room for even 1 turkey. We have a side by side, not those new fancy 4 compartment ones,
    I usually try to buy a few when they go on sale, I grind a couple for turkey burgers too.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk 2