Thread: Emergency Food

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rainy day food is owned by Walton feed and that is where my Montana hard white wheat comes from, I buy it from a local Seventh day adventist group that has a provision truck come around every 4 months to keep the shipping cost down low.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I bet if you asked a lot of people in New York and New Jersey they wouldn't sneer.
    I have kept an emergency supply of food since I left home many years ago, at minimum 6 months. it has helped me many a time when times were hard and there were surprise layoffs, preparedness is nothing to mock, it is responsibility.
    Mormon doctrine notwithstanding, I would say that from personal observation that oriental people are probably the best supplied of the population who is not what Glenn Beck calls a "prepper". They buy rice in 20 pound bags and boxes and boxes of dried noodles, dried mushrooms, and lots of other stuff that keeps.

I only keep rice, eggs, frozen vegetables, some tomatoes, popping corn, and some frozen fish in my house, but Mom and I could get by for a month or two from the stuff she has on hand. It wouldn't be a great month, but I'll bet that cake batter and creamed corn fritters isn't half bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Mormon doctrine notwithstanding, I would say that from personal observation that oriental people are probably the best supplied of the population who is not what Glenn Beck calls a "prepper". They buy rice in 20 pound bags and boxes and boxes of dried noodles, dried mushrooms, and lots of other stuff that keeps.

I only keep rice, eggs, frozen vegetables, some tomatoes, popping corn, and some frozen fish in my house, but Mom and I could get by for a month or two from the stuff she has on hand. It wouldn't be a great month, but I'll bet that cake batter and creamed corn fritters isn't half bad.
    Rice in a bag get's weevils if stored for any length of time, just like flour, that's the whole idea of the flour in the can. You also have to buy the rice in a can if you want to store it for longer periods and I have found that the Mormons have rice in cans at a better price than anyone else.
    I wish they had some of the other products I store like dried fruit and such.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Rice in a bag get's weevils if stored for any length of time, just like flour, that's the whole idea of the flour in the can. You also have to buy the rice in a can if you want to store it for longer periods and I have found that the Mormons have rice in cans at a better price than anyone else.
    I wish they had some of the other products I store like dried fruit and such.
    To store things like rice on board sailboats (which have little or no refrigeration) you put it in a glass container, and then place a little dry ice (carbon dioxide) on top. Let it sit for just a couple of minutes and when the dry ices is about 50% dissipated put the top on.
    What happens is, the carbon dioxide displaces the atmosphere in the jar and kills all the baby bugs.
    Dry ice can be used to arrest and prevent insect activity in closed containers of grains and grain products, as it displaces oxygen, but does not alter the taste or quality of such foods. For the same reason, it can prevent or retard food oils and fats from becoming rancid.

I think they have some pretty good freeze dried fruits here too.

http://beprepared.com/
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    To store things like rice on board sailboats (which have little or no refrigeration) you put it in a glass container, and then place a little dry ice (carbon dioxide) on top. Let it sit for just a couple of minutes and when the dry ices is about 50% dissipated put the top on.
    What happens is, the carbon dioxide displaces the atmosphere in the jar and kills all the baby bugs.
    That sounds like an excellent Idea, I'll try it on some stuff, I know they nitrogen purge the flour and rice before they can it.

We have some real preppers on this board.

I still need to organize my pantry...Only then can I see what is really missing. I need to get more organized. Period.

Preppers are just plum insane.........................I think.
    Anyway, I'm no prepper, and I don't think starvation and rioting is going to break out in our neighborhood. But it does pay to be prepared. There are plenty of people whose homes are intact in NY/NJ but they're having to beg for food, etc.

If the power goes out for a week (it did that, once) I do not want my family to go hungry. As it is now, we'll be warm and we'll have something to eat. And that feels good.

Maybe next year I'll get one of these:

Nothing wrong with stocking up on non-perishables. I always stock up on toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies etc.
    I'm going to charge a lot for toilet paper too.