Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Voice of Elmo on leave from Sesame Street after he was accused of having 'sexual rela 
    By Jill Reilly

PUBLISHED: 06:51 EST, 12 November 2012 | UPDATED: 08:14 EST, 12 November 2012

The man who voices the puppet of Elmo on Sesame Street has taken leave amid allegations he had a sexual relationship with a 16-year-old boy.

Kevin Clash, 52, has taken a leave of absence from the popular children's show after the programme's lawyers were contacted by a 23-year-old man who claims he had a sexual relationship with the puppeteer seven years ago, when he was aged 16.

TMZ, who reported the allegations, said that Mr Clash had admitted he had a relationship with the man, but only after the accuser was an adult and said the accusations were both false and defamatory.
    'I had a relationship with [the accuser]. It was between two consenting adults and I am deeply saddened that he is trying to make it into something it was not,' said Mr Clash who joined Sesame Street in the mid-80s,

The website reported that after the accuser's initial meeting with Sesame Street lawyers, he felt that that he was being silenced so he hired a lawyer.

He is now being represented by Andreozzi and Associates - the firm that worked with one of the victims in the Jerry Sandusky child rape case.
    In August, the accuser's lawyers wrote a letter to Sesame Street accusing the programme of trying to 'discredit the victim in order to protect its employee and the image of one of its most valuable characters,'

The letter also claimed the show's attitude 'places a greater value on a puppet than the well being of a young man.'

But Sesame Workshop officials told TMZ they found the the allegation of underage sex was unsubstantiated after a thorough investigation. Read More>
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...erage-boy.html
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Hard to say whether it's a cash-grab / false accusation, or a sesame street cover-up.

I knew that any toy that demands to be repeatedly tickled by minors was up to no good...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    This sort of thing is why we have a statute of limitations and why regardless of the emotionally driven concern for such things, that statute should not be undone simply because it pertains to allegations of sex crimes. What is to stop anyone from accusing someone from their past, especially someone who might have a few bucks or a political position, of having unlawful sex or sexual contact with them at an earlier time?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    This sort of thing is why we have a statute of limitations and why regardless of the emotionally driven concern for such things, that statute should not be undone simply because it pertains to allegations of sex crimes. What is to stop anyone from accusing someone from their past, especially someone who might have a few bucks or a political position, of having unlawful sex or sexual contact with them at an earlier time?
    I didn't know there was a statute of limitation in child rape cases, why would the lawyer even take the case in such a circumstance?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I didn't know there was a statute of limitation in child rape cases, why would the lawyer even take the case in such a circumstance?
    It wouldn't be child rape even if it's true. If I have read New York law correctly would be a class E felony, the lowest class of felony.

S 130.55 Sexual abuse in the third degree.
    A person is guilty of sexual abuse in the third degree when he or she subjects another person to sexual contact without the latter`s consent; except that in any prosecution under this section, it is an affirmative defense that (a) such other person`s lack of consent was due solely to incapacity to consent by reason of being less than seventeen years old, and (b) such other person was more than fourteen years old, and (c) the defendant was less than five years older than such other person. Sexual abuse in the third degree is a class B misdemeanor.

S 130.40 Sodomy in the third degree.
    A person is guilty of sodomy in the third degree when: 1. He or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with a person who
    is incapable of consent by reason of some factor other than being less than seventeen years old; 2. Being twenty-one years old or more, he or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with a person less than seventeen years old; or 3. He or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person without such person`s consent where such lack of consent is by reason of some factor other than incapacity to consent. Sodomy in the third degree is a class E felony.

S 130.25 Rape in the third degree.
    A person is guilty of rape in the third degree when: 1. He or she engages in sexual intercourse with another person who is
    incapable of consent by reason of some factor other than being less than seventeen years old; 2. Being twenty-one years old or more, he or she engages in sexual intercourse with another person less than seventeen years old; or 3. He or she engages in sexual intercourse with another person without such person`s consent where such lack of consent is by reason of some factor other than incapacity to consent. Rape in the third degree is a class E felony.

Source: New York Consolidated Laws, (http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=29) updated as of (As of 3/1/2002)

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Hard to say whether it's a cash-grab / false accusation, or a sesame street cover-up.
    Of course this is bogus, Elmo is clearly gender neutral.

Fabulous Poster
    As for the statute of limitations it appears a bit convoluted (ie the way lawyers like it) . In general the SOL is five years for "all other felonies" which would suggest that it has expired. However, what I have read says that it might apply from the day the plaintiff turned 18 in which case it might explain why he's making a move at 23 for something he claims happened at age 16.

However, it doesn't look like plaintiff is trying to have Clash arrested, it would appear they are trying to get money from Sesame Street or Clash. I don't know how the SOL would apply to a civil suit.

There certainly is. By the time I was "ready" to talk about how I was sexually assaulted as a child all statute of limitations had passed.

It's a sticky issue. I know there are a lot like me who take a while to come forth about it, but by then how is the state supposed to present any evidence other then the word of the victim?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    There certainly is. By the time I was "ready" to talk about how I was sexually assaulted as a child all statute of limitations had passed.

It's a sticky issue. I know there are a lot like me who take a while to come forth about it, but by then how is the state supposed to present any evidence other then the word of the victim?
    I wonder how much this varies from state to state