Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    That Canadian dude is WEIRD. Doesn't like cheeseburgers? Good Lord...

I suppose we were all picky eaters as kids...my wife might not believe this but there were certain foods I would not eat...but I was never one of those super-picky eaters as a kid...and I don't care if my food touches itself on the plate, sheesh...

I still hate the taste of liver, though...ick...and beets aren't exactly my favorite...but I love green beans and broccoli...carrots, too...:p
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I do not understand picky eating, and being weirded out by "food touching on the plate". That is something that should be outgrown by nursery school.
    And for people who just through the normal picky phases in childhood, it is. Sadly, not all picky eating is merely an aversion to unfamiliar foods. Some picky eaters have something else going on : OCD, orthexia, Asperger's syndrome, or whatever. Others are "super tasters" and find many ordinary foods to be repulsive in smell or taste. Whatever the cause, the cure isn't merely a matter of sucking it up (literally or figuratively). ;)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Some picky eaters have something else going on : OCD, orthexia, Asperger's syndrome, or whatever. Others are "super tasters" and find many ordinary foods to be repulsive in smell or taste. Whatever the cause, the cure isn't merely a matter of sucking it up (literally or figuratively). ;)
    Good thing I wasn't a mother, then. "Snap out of it!" is pretty much all I have as a response. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I blame my Mom for my EXTREME pickiness. She was a teen mom and had lots of superstitions and fears. Plus, they were living on a very tght budget and had access to eggs and chicken so I thought that was all you should eat!

Both my grandfathers seem to have a little food OCD. When they were older, we bought them divided plates to satisfy their food touching aversions. One of my grandfathers couldn't stand for anyone to touch his plate and didn't really like anyone to LOOK at it.

No wonder I'm weird.:o

Power CUer
    What kind of "superstitions and fears" about food?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

And people think Virginia is the south! (my family is from Bristol - I am just teasing)

eating raw potatoes can be fatal

tomatoes can give a baby appendicitis

never eat watermelon before the 4th of July

never mix dairy and fish

I should have night vision for all the carrots I was fed

onions can draw out "poisons"

There are more, I have just tried to forget them!!

Power CUer
    Wow. You were born in the twentieth century, right? :o

My grandparents were from very rural backgrounds. My Mom's family was from up in the mountains by Bristol. Did you ever read Christie by Catherine Marshall? It could have been my family.

Power CUer
    I read that book a long time ago, so I know what you mean. My grandparents were rural as well (I remember my grandmother strangling the chicken for dinner), but there were no superstitions like that. My grandmother was college educated at a time when most women were not (she graduated from college in 1913), so that might have been inimical with superstition.

I do remember sitting on the back steps with my grandfather, both of us eating tomatoes from the garden as though they were apples - just chomping right into them. :D

Another book that was very reminiscent of my grandparents was David Baldacci's "Wish You Well". I wrote him after I read it and got a wonderful response.

My Dad's family had limited education but all became high achievers.

My Mom's eventually became educated but were dreamers. Her grandfather was a teacher but never had two cents. We have his old "pedagojee" as he spelled it. It's a family treasure.