1. #1 London's Olympic Park toilets to turn away from Mecca out of respect for Islamic law 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    London's Olympic Park toilets to turn away from Mecca out of respect for Islamic law

The Islamic religion prohibits Muslims from facing the Kiblah - the direction of prayer - when they visit the lavatory.

Toilet facilities are being built at London's Olympic Park so Muslims will not have to face Mecca while sitting on the loo

The Olympic Delivery Authority has said it wants to produce an ideal venue for people of all cultures, faiths, ages and abilities for the 2012 Games and beyond.

An ODA spokeswoman confirmed that a 'percentage of general toilets would not face Mecca' out of sensitivity.She could not say how many toilets would turn away from the East.

Also as part of the design, special washing facilities will be linked to Islamic prayer rooms.It is not the first time toilets have changed direction to accommodate Muslims.Last year, thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money was used to ensure toilets at Brixton prison in London did not offend Islamic law.

Muslim prisoners complained of having to sit sideways on toilets so as to not break code.Faith leaders in the government pressured officials to approve turning the toilets 90 degrees.But ODA chairman John Armitt said it was about making the London Olympic venue the 'most accessible and inclusive public park' for future generations.
    Other design measures earmarked for the park include:
    Gentle slopes into the venue with wider pathways with smooth surfaces and seating and resting places at regular intervals for wheelchair users;

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a....html?ITO=1490

Eyelids
    Who cares?

Banned
    An ODA spokeswoman confirmed that a 'percentage of general toilets would not face Mecca' out of sensitivity.She could not say how many toilets would turn away from the East.
    I'm a bit confused here. From London, Mecca is not "the East." Secondly, I would think that a significant number, if not the majority, would not face Mecca simply through random placement.

Finally, if the toilet is facing directly away from Mecca, for men at least, doesn't that create a problem based upon what you're doing in the restroom? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Who cares?
    Exactly. If no one should care, why should the muzzies?

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Exactly. If no one should care, why should the muzzies?

Whereas I think the british are wrong in allowing sharia courts to be established in their country, I understand this kind of thing because it is for the Olympics, a special event that from the british perspective is about hospitality of the host country and welcoming people from all over the world.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    If part of your "religion" is based upon which way the toilet faces, you might just have a f'd up religion.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Whereas I think the british are wrong in allowing sharia courts to be established in their country, I understand this kind of thing because it is for the Olympics, a special event that from the british perspective is about hospitality of the host country and welcoming people from all over the world.
    But isn't the whole exotic-travel/meet-new-people thing pretty much about meeting people who don't share your religion, culture, or values? Besides, half the potentially qualified athletes that Islamic countries could field are forbidden from participating in the Olympics due to religious issues. Doesn't it seem kind of funny to reward those people with toilets and special foods when they oppress half their own population?

Aren't Masonic lodges required to face a certain direction?

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Aren't Masonic lodges required to face a certain direction?
    Major league baseball parks are "supposed" to have home plate facing a certain direction. Don't know about the Masons.

Hey, works for me. They can crap in the direction of Mecca all they want. Seems pretty fitting.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana