Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Yeah, but they don't build homes for the sole occupancy of gays do they?
    Hey, it fits nova's world view so it's OK. Now if a church or some other non-liberal organization did the same thing his tune would be much different.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Yeah, but they don't build homes for the sole occupancy of gays do they?
    There have been several such places actually. UNfortunately , most were hitting their stride when the housing bust hit.

It's a rather flawed concept anyway. Yes, if you build it they will come. Many people who have fought discrimination all of their lives don't want to retire amongst the generation of religious nuts which fought them every step along the way. But then you have the inevitable result in a retirement community: death. When the gay retirees die, most of them will leave their homes to their children or other relatives who would most likely be heterosexual. So you have turn over when they turn under.

As for your term "sole occupancy", it would be unethical (though not illegal in most places) to restrict the community to gay people. However, these places target a gay market and probably have it in the HOA mission statement that the place is dedicated to being a gay friendly environment.

Palms of Manasota
    Palmetto Florida

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Hey, it fits nova's world view so it's OK. Now if a church or some other non-liberal organization did the same thing his tune would be much different.
    I sometimes think you must live in a cave. Down the street from me is the Philip Benjamin Tower, Menorah Manor (I kid you not), Bethany Tower, Lutheran Residences, and a neighborhood that you could hit with a nuclear weapon and be certain to not kill a single black resident other than staff.

I think that if gay organizations want to run a shelter program for the GLBT homeless population, that is a good thing. Otherwise, they get classified with all the other single adults and end up at one of the crappy shelters. The nicer shelters are for families, usually, at least around here. But they would really need to have two shelters-one for gay people without kids and one for gay couples with kids, or there are going to be the same problems that led to separating single homeless from families-regardless of orientation, it's best to avoid potential problems.

When it comes to actual housing, though, a program like this seems to be segregating gays to one area. As much as some conservatives probably like that idea, it seems like the opposite of what gay advocates claim their goal is-social acceptability.

I hear the back doors quit working after too much use and no longer close properly, it seems some tenants try to move in appliances and furniture that is too large for the opening.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I hear the back doors quit working after too much use and no longer close properly, it seems some tenants try to move in appliances and furniture that is too large for the opening.
    You're a pig. Do your lesbian neighbors think that kind of thing is funny (or even applicable)?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You're a pig. Do your lesbian neighbors think that kind of thing is funny (or even applicable)?
    Don't get mad at me, the condo and apartment managers are saying the doors were never meant for this kind of activity, they were meant for the removal of kitchen garbage and waste so they could be left in the proper receptacle, not so that over size objects could be taken repeatedly inside and out.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Aye Carumba re 15 through 17.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You live near the largest gay retirement community in the world.
    I don't care if the ABC gang wants to have their own community. It's discriminatory on its face but that's not why I would object. I care that taxpayer dollars are used to fund it.

I don't even want to make the equivalency argument that if the ABC guys can do this, the straight, white, female, under 30 crowd should be able to have their own exclusive community too.
    Be Not Afraid.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I don't care if the ABC gang wants to have their own community. It's discriminatory on its face but that's not why I would object. I care that taxpayer dollars are used to fund it.

I don't even want to make the equivalency argument that if the ABC guys can do this, the straight, white, female, under 30 crowd should be able to have their own exclusive community too.
    You don't want taxpayer funding going to build low income senior housing?