Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "I've started telling my daughters I'm beautiful" 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021828028

ehrnst (2,768 posts)

"I've started telling my daughters I'm beautiful"

"I've started telling my girls that I think I'm beautiful. It's been so easy to tell them how beautiful THEY are, because it's obvious. They are the thing beauty is made of. They are the reason we started worshipping beauty. They sparkle and dance. When they're sleeping, they turn into soft cloud babies, little perfect tufts of white on the moonlight.
    There are a lot of people like me. Women who know things. Women who have seen things. Women with diseases in their livers. There are a lot of women with scars on their arms and words that carry themselves like sparrows. There are women who were too big for this town, who had their backs bent carrying things like religion and a history that originated somewhere in the crook of a branch that extended over a stream. A place where a patch of the sky was visible through the leaves, where a little girl let her bare leg dangle too far down.

There are a lot of people like me, because we're all the same. We're all blood and electricity. We're lonely under the gaze of god. We're all wet with dew and swallowing hard against DO THIS, CONSUME, SHUT UP and BE AFRAID to die.

All of you women with lines on your brow, with cracks between your fingers… it's been a long winter. All of you, you are beautiful and so am I."

Read more:

http://offbeatmama.com/2012/11/telli...s-im-beautiful

I have a son, and I am going to start saying this around him as well - this really opened my eyes in many ways.
    Any doubt as to what this woman looks like? Any guys here want a blind date with her?

All the DUmmies are supporting and cheering her except for one guy who will be getting pepperoni with extra cheese if he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhair View Post

Any doubt as to what this woman looks like? Any guys here want a blind date with her?

All the DUmmies are supporting and cheering her except for one guy who will be getting pepperoni with extra cheese if he keeps it up.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    OR...

May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    OR...

I'm going to have nightmares now.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I wonder if she goes to a Unity church.

Power CUer
    It's great to have a positive self image, of course, but overt compliments should be directed outward, not inward.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Here's an actual photo of the author. Not exactly in Helen Thomas' category of gargoyle ugly, but not exactly Cameron Diaz, either.

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    With all these nasty remarks about women's appearances, not to mention that apparently one has to meet some celebrity standard to be considered beautiful, I don't find it at all surprising that this woman wants to teach her children that beauty is more than a two dimensional image defined by fashion designers and photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    With all these nasty remarks about women's appearances, not to mention that apparently one has to meet some celebrity standard to be considered beautiful, I don't find it at all surprising that this woman wants to teach her children that beauty is more than a two dimensional image defined by fashion designers and photographers.
    But it doesn't come off that way. She isn't telling her daughters that they are beautiful, she's announcing that she is, and the evidence of their own eyes be damned. She comes off as vain and insecure.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    But it doesn't come off that way. She isn't telling her daughters that they are beautiful, she's announcing that she is, and the evidence of their own eyes be damned. She comes off as vain and insecure.
    I didn't read it that way. I read it that she considers her daughters to be beautiful and wants them to know that beauty endures and changes over time, that the inner beauty must be appreciated as well. I don't see anything wrong with that. I also see that there is some confusion between being beautiful and being sexy. I think that all of the women on Golden Girls were beautiful, and not one of them seemed at all sexy to me.