Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Better stock up on Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Ho-Ho's while you can.... 
    Greedy union idiots kill another iconic company of my youth...

Twinkie Maker Hostess to Close

By RACHEL FEINTZEIG

Hostess Brands Inc., the maker of iconic treats such as Twinkies and traditional pantry staple Wonder Bread, is shuttering its plants and liquidating its 82-year-old business.

A victim of changing consumer tastes, high commodity costs and, most importantly, strained labor relations, Hostess ultimately was brought to its knees by a national strike orchestrated by its second-largest union.

The work stoppage, launched Nov. 9 by the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union to protest a fresh labor contract, affected about two-thirds of Hostess's 36 plants. The strike was making it impossible for the Irving, Tex., company to continue producing its baked goods, Chief Executive Gregory Rayburn said.

The CEO, a restructuring professional who ascended to the top of the company after its former leader abruptly resigned earlier this year, said the liquidation will take months but require few workers.
    link

Thanks to the greed of union workers, the snacks I grew up with are gone forever.....along with their 18,000 jobs.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Greedy union idiots kill another iconic company of my youth...

link

Thanks to the greed of union workers, the snacks I grew up with are gone forever.....along with their 18,000 jobs.
    Another victory for organized labor! The workers have forced the bosses to quit! The factories are closed! ...uh oh.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hostess is the poster child of garbage food. It's not surprising that some would see its passing as inevitable. People are demanding higher quality food these days. Few people want their kids eating stuff which ingredients they can't pronounce, high fructose corn syrup, and a shelf life of 12 years.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Another victory for organized labor! The workers have forced the bosses to quit! The factories are closed! ...uh oh.
    Did hostess adapt to a changing market?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Hostess is the poster child of garbage food. It's not surprising that some would see its passing as inevitable. People are demanding higher quality food these days. Few people want their kids eating stuff which ingredients they can't pronounce, high fructose corn syrup, and a shelf life of 12 years.
    Now that was stupid.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

My dad used to hide Ding Dongs for me in his closet whenever my mom put me on a diet when I was a kid. I haven't bought any in a long time, but they are so good. It's too bad. Hostess bought out Dolly Madison a while back, so Zingers will also be gone.

It's also a sad day for the defense attorney who represented Dan White. No more Twinkie defense!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I love Twinkies & Ding Dongs. Will have to buy a few cases...

They are excellent survival food as they stay fresh for decades!!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Lets not forget they make wonder bread as well, not just junk food. What saddens me is that only about a third of the workforce of hostess forced a strike, most didn't want to go. They didn't want a 8% cut in pay, how do they feel now to a 100% cut in pay?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Lets not forget they make wonder bread as well, not just junk food. What saddens me is that only about a third of the workforce of hostess forced a strike, most didn't want to go. They didn't want a 8% cut in pay, how do they feel now to a 100% cut in pay?
    Not even a third: less than 5000 of the 18.5K Hostess workers are represented by this union, who just crashed the school bus into a tree on purpose. The Teamsters were begging these guys to go back to work, and they just stubbornly refused to even consider it.

Now, out here in the real world, without union representation (I am in one of the very few businesses in existence that is federally barred from unionizing), the rest of us have to take pay cuts in hard times all the time. I'd damn sure rather have an 8% pay cut instead of a 100% pay cut.

I'm pretty sure it isn't in the law anywhere, but it should be: if you strike yourself out of a job, you get NOTHING. No unemployment. No food stamps. No welfare. No Section 8. NOTHING. You did this entirely to yourself, so fuck you very much. Go flip burgers instead, you leech.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.