Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power CUer
    I was home that Friday from third grade (it was a teacher's training day or something; it was a day off for the kids in my school district). The housekeeper always had lunch and watched "As the World Turns" at 1:00. That day we got Walter Cronkite instead - "This is a CBS News Special Report...."
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I was born 11 months after the assassination. My mom says that she was in a department store in Indianapolis, where we lived, and they announced it over the loudspeaker.

I was 9...in school and like others, they let us out early. I didn't understand what had really happened. All I remember was that nothing else was on TV (all of three stations back then and two were hard to get with the rabbit ears).

Liz
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I was a junior in HS. in study hall they let us listen to radios. some kid came running up to the teacher with the news
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
    I was 9...in school and like others, they let us out early. I didn't understand what had really happened. All I remember was that nothing else was on TV (all of three stations back then and two were hard to get with the rabbit ears).
    I was 8, and I certainly understood the concept that someone had killed the President, and what a terrible thing that was. It was pretty much the first time TV stayed on all the time (no signoffs that weekend, as I recall). I also remember the Latin Mass on the Monday, and asking my parents what was going on. They had probably never seen one before, and couldn't really fill me in on the details at all.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken