Thread: Stockpiling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Stockpiling 
    So, a spin off of Rock's thread regarding stocking up on supplies in preparation for rising costs and out of control inflation....I went to Publix yesterday and they had a lot of items on Buy1/Get1 sale so I started thinking about staples I can stockpile.
    I also organized my tiny pantry and have filled it to the brim.

My goal is to keep the pantry full to capacity and replace items as needed. I have most of the staples, (tomato sauce, pasta, canned soups, beans, corn, oil...etc) As it stands now, I can probably live off it for 2 weeks...(nothing in preppers terms) but I'm just getting started. I want to buy a large 2 door pantry that I can keep in the garage as well. The pantry in my kitchen is very small but I can still cram a lot of stuff in there.

I watched an entire episode of Preppers last night, and they are pretty crazy. Although I'm not starting this because of Armaggedon reasons, I just want to fight inflation the best I can buy buying items now before the dollar tanks.

Top Shelves with a few paper products.

Bottom shelves

I always have canned tomato sauce as my parents make cases during Tomato season so I always get a few cases to last me for the year. I do have back-up cans as well.

I keep my most of my paper products elsewhere.

Don't forget clothes, like jeans, shoes etc. Don't be to preoccupied with stylish, put back a few new pairs of jeans, wool pants, jackets, work boots waterproof, insulated and summer. also soap and cleaning items.
    Blankets, paper towel. Aspirin, rubbing alcohol, I have a store of antibiotics in the freezer, cipro, amoxicillian, nizoral shampoo for fungicide.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Don't forget clothes, like jeans, shoes etc. Don't be to preoccupied with stylish, put back a few new pairs of jeans, wool pants, jackets, work boots waterproof, insulated and summer. also soap and cleaning items.
    Blankets, paper towel. Aspirin, rubbing alcohol, I have a store of antibiotics in the freezer, cipro, amoxicillian, nizoral shampoo for fungicide.
    Hey pumpkin, great list, but ...

You forgot two of my favorite things to keep on hand against infections of even small nicks and scratches, which can turn into bigger problems if ignored ... and that is hydrogen peroxide solution and iodine.

When I was a child, (about a hundred years ago ) and lived in a small town that had only ONE doctor ... if those two things didn't work after 2 weeks, along with gargling salt water for sore throats ... is when we sent for him.

In those days, they use to make house calls, can you believe?
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post

You forgot two of my favorite things to keep on hand against infections of even small nicks and scratches, which can turn into bigger problems if ignored ... and that is hydrogen peroxide solution and iodine.

When I was a child, (about a hundred years ago ) and lived in a small town that had only ONE doctor ... if those two things didn't work after 2 weeks, along with gargling salt water for sore throats ... is when we sent for him.

Yep, a whole lotta things missing, their are also bandages too. When we get more suggestions we need to have someone put them together in a list for us.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    When we get more suggestions we need to have someone put them together in a list for us.
    good idea. a list with items that we presume are going to skyrocket in price would be beneficial.

I agree about the clothes, BUT I have a yoyo weight. I have clothes in my closet from a size 4 to a size 16. I'm currently a 9/10 as I've lost some weight. I'd be happy if I could get to an 8 and stay there forever.

I've also never been a fad wearer. I'm more of a jeans type gal and occasionally dress up if I have to...but even then it's usually a simple black skirt or dress. Most of my attire are classic items that never go out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post

I work in a hospital, so I always have medical supplies in the house..although they are not as accessible as they once were....but I have the usual alcohol, hyd perox, iodine, band-aids, gauze, bandages, benadryl, tylenol and assorted over the counter pain relief tablets and cough medicine. I also want to hit my local farmers market for herb plants....I need to start new ones.

Another thing is school supplies. My daughter starts elementary in 2 years, might not be a bad idea to get the usual items after the school specials. I picked up notebooks at Target for .14 in September on clearance.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I don't see Twinkies on that list missy.

I have a portable field hospital kit I bought when I/we were in St.Louis.
    It's pretty imperssive.

Now that hurricane season is all but over we will use the stuff from this year.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I don't see Twinkies on that list missy.

You mean HoHo's....thanks for the reminder.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    You mean HoHo's....thanks for the reminder.

They will do...

I wonder how many boxes I could get in the new freezer Tuesday????
    May the FORCE be with you!

Rock had mentioned before that meat prices will probably soar next year, due to the effects of this year's drought in the Midwest. SR had been wanting to get a freezer for some time, but there's no room in the house for it. We're going to have to put it in the garage. But I've been watching those meat prices rise pretty drastically, so going to hit the sales and get the loss leaders. Our little 7 cubit foot freezer won't hold all that much, but combined with the freezer/frig in the house, it should be enough.

I've also been stocking up on toiletries. I think I have enough conditioner to last for a couple years, but could use a bit more shampoo. I've been stocking up whenever I see a big sale. Walgreen's started this evil points program. I admit to getting perhaps too much in the quest for points. By next week should get a $50 gift card, so will use it to stock up more.

Perhaps will start a thread on other ways to save money. Obama is going to drain too many of our resources, so trying to stay ahead of the game.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"