Thread: Stockpiling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok, what my wife and I have done since the election is gotten our old stand up freezer working again. I suggest that if you have the room, get an additional freezer and start buying food in bulk, break it down into meal sized portions and freeze it.
    We are buying ourselves an industrial Foodsaver. We had a cheaper model several years ago and it died because we allowed to much liquid from the items we were storing to enter the vacuum hole. I highly recommend getting one of the newer industrial ones because from what I have read, they have fixed that particular problem.

I personally am looking into some blacksmithing and welding classes. Ive always had an interest in it and if I can fit it into my schedule, I'm going to learn at least some basics. That way I will have a basic skill that I can barter out services for.

We have a whole list of things we are going to start on after Christmas as well but for now, this gets us moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Ok, what my wife and I have done since the election is gotten our old stand up freezer working again. I suggest that if you have the room, get an additional freezer and start buying food in bulk, break it down into meal sized portions and freeze it.
    We are buying ourselves an industrial Foodsaver. We had a cheaper model several years ago and it died because we allowed to much liquid from the items we were storing to enter the vacuum hole. I highly recommend getting one of the newer industrial ones because from what I have read, they have fixed that particular problem.

I personally am looking into some blacksmithing and welding classes. Ive always had an interest in it and if I can fit it into my schedule, I'm going to learn at least some basics. That way I will have a basic skill that I can barter out services for.

We have a whole list of things we are going to start on after Christmas as well but for now, this gets us moving in the right direction.
    The LDS store that I linked to in the emergency food thread in the recipe forum has the best vacuum sealers you can buy.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Rock had mentioned before that meat prices will probably soar next year, due to the effects of this year's drought in the Midwest.
    How long will meat keep in a freezer? I know it will keep forever, but will it taste as good after say 6 months?

Good idea about stocking up on shampoo and conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    How long will meat keep in a freezer? I know it will keep forever, but will it taste as good after say 6 months?

Cryovac meats in primal cuts such as briskets , whole chucks and whole sirloins will keep easily for two years if constantly frozen. Home vacuum packed a year to at best 18 months. Frozen in non vacuum standard freezer bags usually six months before freezer burn starts. ground meat six months . cured hams two and even three years in factory cryovac packaging.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Cryovac meats in primal cuts such as briskets , whole chucks and whole sirloins will keep easily for two years if constantly frozen. Home vacuum packed a year to at best 18 months. Frozen in non vacuum standard freezer bags usually months before freezer burn starts. ground meat six months . cured hams two and even three years in factory cryovac packaging.
    Would a company like Costco have Cryovac?

Amazon has good prices on shampoos and conditioners in bulk packaging. i have been buying my wife the Aussie brand. sign up for Amazon prime and you will save money on shipping and on many items get two day free shipping. We use their subscribe and save option on a lot of products, you set what shipping intervals you want for the product and save 5- 20%.

Would a company like Costco have Cryovac?
    Most all grocery stores will sell you meat in primal cuts in the packaging they receive it in, they all use cryovac or an equivalent.
    Often the store will also give you a discount because they don't have to cut it and repackage it.
    what you do is let's say you bought three whole sirloins, you freeze two in original cryovac that they came in and then you slice one the way you like it into steaks, chunks and if you have a grinder like i do you make a few packages of ground meat. You then package it in Ziploc vacuum bags with a vacuum sealer and freeze them, when you run out you take out another sirloin and do the same thing..

Everyone needs to add couple things to their lists, lots of ammo and no-doze.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Everyone needs to add couple things to their lists, lots of ammo and no-doze.
    Ammo and a couple of "off the books" firearms would be a good idea. Just in case.
    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.