Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best money saving tips for the hard Obama economic times ahead of us 
    Hawkgirl started an excellent thread on stockpiling in The End of Teh World I tell ya!! forum. That got me thinking that it would be good to collectively assemble some tips for surviving the Obama downturned economy.

We've been trying to shave our expenses. When we first moved here, we used the lawn service that the previous owner had been using. We made the investment this spring of a riding mower and edgers. By June we will have reached the point of surpassing the amount we paid for the equipment with the monthly savings. We've also started trimming all the bushes ourselves. I've overcome my fear of snakes to just get in there and hack away at the jungle. The previous owner forgot how things grow in Florida, so we have way too much landscaping. One guy charged us $250 for just one trim of the bushes. The next guy charged $150. We're doing it ourself now.

Another reduction was in gym expenses. After my knee surgery last October, I had extensive physical therapy. When the insurance ran out, they let me work out at their facility for $50 a month. At the beginning of this month, we looked at a gyn (YouFit) that's been advertising for $10 a mo per person. We checked it out and it had everything we need. I was able to duplicate everything I had at the PT place. So we're saving $30 a month there, and both of us can benefit healthwise.

We sold the second car last year, as we found one car worked out just fine for us. We share nicely. That cut down considerably on both gas, insurance and taxes.

I hate that Obama's economy is forcing these changes, but it's fun if we make a game of shaving expenses and eliminating waste. If only our government would do that, we wouldn't be in our current state of affairs.

It will help everyone if other ideas are posted. We'll make it through this---we're conservatives and resourceful. (well, we do have some libs here and their suggestions will also be appreciated).
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I hate that Obama's economy is forcing these changes, but it's fun if we make a game of shaving expenses and eliminating waste.:
    I have to admit, it can get addicting. I haven't gotten into couponing as I think it might take up time that I don't have. But shopping sales, clearances and the like will be fun.

I decided not to join a gym right now and take advantage of my community gym. It really has all the machines I'd need and they are looking to update the equipment next year anyway.

Only thing I'm struggling with is putting down wood floors in my house. It will be a sizable investment to do the entire second story and stairs, but it would probably be cheaper to do it now than later. I'm really hating this carpet as it's just not toddler/cat friendly. Part of me just wants to get a Stanley Steamer company to come in and take care of the stains, but part of me just wants to bite the bullet and install new floors after the holidays.

Power CUer
    As long as the neighbor's border collie wants to walk/run with me a couple of miles a day, I won't need a gym.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Since we own our home free and clear, we got a line of credit from State Farm. Originally, it was intended to cover health emergencies beyond our health insurance. But now...............?

Groceries? I buy meats and dented canned goods on sale. BTW, meat that is marked down as after the "sale by" date are perfectly good. Hamburger that is brown is okay. Chain grocery stores are not going to sell spoiled products because of possible law suits. They're not dumb.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

We've put a cover over my old truck. Since it's sort of my hobby, we won't sell it, but I'd be surprised if I use 20 gallons of gas a month in it. One car works for us.

I still do almost everything around the house in terms of maintenance. I guess we've always lived, as they say, well within our means.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Only thing I'm struggling with is putting down wood floors in my house. It will be a sizable investment to do the entire second story and stairs, but it would probably be cheaper to do it now than later. I'm really hating this carpet as it's just not toddler/cat friendly. Part of me just wants to get a Stanley Steamer company to come in and take care of the stains, but part of me just wants to bite the bullet and install new floors after the holidays.
    Wood floors come with their own issues...

The house we are in right now has all wood except for the downstairs bathroom, the foyer, and the bad linoleum in the kitchen. It's colder than carpet, and the dust bunnies are maddening...I end up sweeping almost daily.

We've had carpets with cats as well as the hardwood now...cat nails clatter on hardwood. If your carpets are stained from cat food, it may be that they have an allergy to the food. We discovered that MOST cat foods include red dye #40 and that can NOT be gotten out of carpet when they throw up. Once we switched to a cat food without red dye, our issues disappeared.

While I love having hardwood, I'm going back to carpet in our next house.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    óBenjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
    Wood floors come with their own issues...

The house we are in right now has all wood except for the downstairs bathroom, the foyer, and the bad linoleum in the kitchen. It's colder than carpet, and the dust bunnies are maddening...I end up sweeping almost daily.

We've had carpets with cats as well as the hardwood now...cat nails clatter on hardwood. If your carpets are stained from cat food, it may be that they have an allergy to the food. We discovered that MOST cat foods include red dye #40 and that can NOT be gotten out of carpet when they throw up. Once we switched to a cat food without red dye, our issues disappeared.

While I love having hardwood, I'm going back to carpet in our next house.
    Not food, but poop. I got a foster cat a few months ago that pooped everywhere but the litter box. She is now mine and has adjusted well and uses the box. I've Febreezed the hell out of the spots, but there are two spots that just won't budge. It's only in one room as after she had the accidents I didn't allow her upstairs. She also made a mess out of the garage which I've had to do heavy cleaning but lifts easily off the concrete (but stained it too)
    I almost didn't keep her, but I think she was just a scared mess but luckily the problem is resolved.

A steam company could probably get the stains out...but I've been longing for wood floors. I would probably get either engineered wood, bamboo or good laminate as the Florida humidity might clash with hardwood.

Not food, but poop. I got a foster cat a few months ago that pooped everywhere but the litter box. She is now mine and has adjusted well and uses the box. I've Febreezed the hell out of the spots, but there are two spots that just won't budge. It's only in one room as after she had the accidents I didn't allow her upstairs. She also made a mess out of the garage which I've had to do heavy cleaning but lifts easily off the concrete (but stained it too)
    I almost didn't keep her, but I think she was just a scared mess but luckily the problem is resolved.

A steam company could probably get the stains out...but I've been longing for wood floors. I would probably get either engineered wood, bamboo or good laminate as the Florida humidity might clash with hardwood.
    Get a good grade of engineered wood. We did our house the beginning of the year. We had the oak flooring in the living room, entrance hall, dining room, kitchen and family room. We found the exact match, same color, same manufacturer by finding a partial box of it in the garage.

We replaced the carpet in the 3 bedrooms with the engineered wood (Hawkgirl is right, "real" hardwood doesn't work in Florida). i'll never get carpet again, at least in a warm climate.

We had our carpets cleaned by someone highly recomended. He did a good job, but nothing would get those stains out for good. The stain goes into the pad. The dog who lived here before ruined the carpet in the guest bedroom. Our dogs did the other 2.

I'm using a small area rug that we had used in St Louis in the computer room (bedroom #2). The dogs curl up on it and seem satisfied. For some reason there have been no accidents since we dumped the carpet. I think it gets that odor in, no matter what you do, that keeps attracting and tempting them.

Southernlady is right about the laminate. The dogs nails make a noise, ditto women's heels, with laminate. We had it put in the family room and kitchen in St Louis and I never liked it that much. But it looked better than the awful carpet and linoleum it replaced.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

............after she had the accidents I didn't allow her upstairs...........
    You DIDN'T ALLOW her?! How do you NOT ALLOW a cat??!!

No, no, Kitty. I've told you before; no going upstairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    You DIDN'T ALLOW her?! How do you NOT ALLOW a cat??!!

No, no, Kitty. I've told you before; no going upstairs...
    Easy, I put up a child gate at the bottom of the stairs...a couple of times it nearly fell on her and then crashed on my porcelain floors and made a loud noise. She never went near it again.