Thread: Red Dawn 2012

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Red Dawn 2012 
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,029
    might be worth a look see



    I have the original on DVD
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    I'd probably have a hard time just pushing the "I believe" button with this film, but it looks decent at least.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,375
    I found the original not plausible but I enjoyed it anyways. One of my favorite Patrick Swayze movies and C. Thomas Howell's character became one of my favorites. I just don't see how a remake using North Korea as the invader will be all that compelling. If you go and see it, post your thoughts on it and maybe I won't wait for it to hit Netflix.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    That's my biggest beef with it as well FlaGator. Even with Chinese backing and strange new EMP technology, N. Korea would never get into the NW US, let alone hold it. As a member of the military, I just wouldn't be able to get around that major plot hurdle.

    Or... maybe this is after Obama is done gutting our Navy.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,158
    Somehow the NK have a device that knocks out power, while this might happen I dont see how'd they'd get an army of any note here. I wished they'd had used China as a antagonist but we mustn't offend our owners.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,417
    Just offer the Norks Twinkies and they'd all defect.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,079
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Just offer the Norks Twinkies and they'd all defect.
    Tell me about it. The moment they'd walk into a Walmart they'd know they were fighting for the wrong side.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,854
    They filmed a lot of scenes around Detroit for the remake. A lot of it was filmed in Pontiac, which has an empty mall and other useful buildings for movies. Some of the scenes were filmed in Detroit, including the Del Ray neighborhood by the Ambassador Bridge, which is a really abandoned part of town.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,535
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I found the original not plausible but I enjoyed it anyways. One of my favorite Patrick Swayze movies and C. Thomas Howell's character became one of my favorites. I just don't see how a remake using North Korea as the invader will be all that compelling. If you go and see it, post your thoughts on it and maybe I won't wait for it to hit Netflix.
    While finding the original totally lacking in reality, it was a good flick. So I'll bypass the nakeover as the second runs never have the zing of the first.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    That's my biggest beef with it as well FlaGator. Even with Chinese backing and strange new EMP technology, N. Korea would never get into the NW US, let alone hold it. As a member of the military, I just wouldn't be able to get around that major plot hurdle.

    Or... maybe this is after Obama is done gutting our Navy.
    After that, Lichtenstein will be a threat.

    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They filmed a lot of scenes around Detroit for the remake. A lot of it was filmed in Pontiac, which has an empty mall and other useful buildings for movies. Some of the scenes were filmed in Detroit, including the Del Ray neighborhood by the Ambassador Bridge, which is a really abandoned part of town.
    Makes sense. Detroit can pass for any postwar locale. Throw up signs in German and you have Dresden after the firebombing. Japanese and you have Hiroshima.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •