Hybrid View

1. #1 RIP Warren Rudman 
    Power CUer
    From today's CQ/Roll Call Political Briefing:

"Warren Rudman, whose name remains synonymous with the difficulties of congressional deficit reduction efforts fully two decades after he left the Senate, died overnight at age 82.

Rudman was a quintessential New England Republican moderate of the old school, combining an intense interest in budget restraint with socially liberal views during his two terms as a senator from New Hampshire. He decided not to run again in 1992, complaining with his characteristic hectoring feistiness that Congress was way too willing to abrogate its responsibility to rein in the deficit — which was then about one-fifth the size it is today. In 1985, he had engineered the enactment of the law that drove budget restraint for a time, but had started to slip in its effectiveness before he left; known as Gramm-Rudman-Hollings, it introduced the concept that across-the-board spending cuts should be the blunt-instrument punishment Washington must have to live with whenever the president and Congress don't meet more proactive budgetary deadlines — the very sort of “sequester” that Obama and Congress agreed to last year, and that's now spurring much of the drive to find a way around the fiscal cliff.

Rudman also set high standards for personal rectitude as chairman of Senate Ethics and — as a member of the joint Iran-Contra committee — was viewed as a nonpartisan critic of the Reagan administration’s actions to supply the Nicaraguan rebels with arms in circumvention of the law. His other most important and lasting contribution was helping engineer the appointment of David Souter as the most recent — and probably last, for many years — moderate GOP justice on the Supreme Court (the two knew one another from Rudman’s six-year stint as New Hamsphire attorney general). After leaving the Senate, he worked with former Sen. Paul Tsongas to form the Concord Coalition, which remains an influential advocacy group on deficit reduction. He was offered the job of Treasury Secretary in Clinton’s first term and asked by Ross Perot to be his 1996 running mate. He helped run Bob Dole’s 1996 presidential campaign and John McCain’s first run, in 2000. At his death he was a partner in a consulting firm he had founded with Madeleine Albright and Sandy Berger."

He was a friend of my parents, after they retired to New Hampshire in 1979, and the kind of Senator who we (sadly) see very little of these days. I doubt he will be much regretted by the members of CU, but he was a real gentleman. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    combining an intense interest in budget restraint with socially liberal views
    For all practical purposes, the two are mutually exclusive.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Originally Posted by linda22003
    combining an intense interest in budget restraint with socially liberal views
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    For all practical purposes, the two are mutually exclusive.

That's just the Article author's way of getting in a dig at social conservatives by way of implying social concerns are liberal in nature.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I doubt he will be much regretted by the members of CU, but he was a real gentleman. :)
    I don't regret him anymore than I regret what I had for lunch yesterday.

Kudos though for using an RIP thread to make commentary on the members of a board that you regularly post on that we already knew you didn't have much affiliation to.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I don't regret him anymore than I regret what I had for lunch yesterday.

Kudos though for using an RIP thread to make commentary on the members of a board that you regularly post on that we already knew you didn't have much affiliation to.
    Is she not wanted amoungst her own kind?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Is she not wanted amoungst her own kind?
    I didn't understand that convoluted version of English, either. That sentence is really twisted up in knots.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I didn't understand that convoluted version of English, either. That sentence is really twisted up in knots.
    But I'm sure you got the message.

Power CUer
    I just know he doesn't like me, which of course breaks my heart and leaves me with sleepless nights.