Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guarn-dam-t these Texas turkeys can fly.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Guarn-dam-t these Texas turkeys can fly.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
    They are harder to chew and don't stand under their roosting tree.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Dang!!! It was in the 50's here this morning!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Dang!!! It was in the 50's here this morning!!!
    I thought of you on Wednesday on my way to Ft. Lauderdale. I saw a couple walking their three greyhounds in a rest area, but I thought that if I walked up and said, "Are you Sarasota Republican?" it was almost certain that they would say, "Why yes I am." and yet not be you.

Gonna load up again and go back into another food coma in just a bit.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Gonna load up again and go back into another food coma in just a bit.
    yep, regular turkey yesterday and smoked turkey tonight.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Turkey and mayo on Ezekiel low glycemic bread with mincemeat pie for dinner here today.

Kept forgetting to post this. Gets its own thread next year.

George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

George Washington
    Be Not Afraid.

THANKSGIVING 2012
    By: John Hayward
    11/22/2012 06:24 AM

You値l read a lot of Thanksgiving essays today that have a rueful or cynical edge. For my part, I will have none of that. This is a day of gratitude for what we have, not anger or despair over what we have lost. On this day, all glasses are not merely half-full, but overflowing.

I知 thankful that I live in a free nation that views elections as passages in an argument, not the final resolution of disputes. For this reason, even my most dire short-term concerns have never overwhelmed my long-term confidence in America.

Along similar lines, I知 grateful that our reverence for liberty means that we do not presume to settle the discourses of our children. They will be free to ask the questions that consume us today, and perhaps find different, better answers. I wish we weren稚 placing such terrible burdens on them. I wonder if they値l look back on us with gratitude, or resentment. But I look forward to them, and anticipate their attack upon the problems we were never able to solve.

I知 thankful for the young people we have today. Some are callow, thoughtless, and irresponsible, just as some have always been. But you won稚 find any callow youth coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. I知 always shocked to read the story of a fallen hero and realize that I can remember what I was doing on the day he was born. As with every veteran who does not return home in body, I am saddened by their loss, but grateful that they lived and grateful that I live in a nation that welcomes all of them home in spirit.

I also give thanks to the elders who went before me, for all they have built and achieved. I am thankful for their stewardship of the great inheritance every generation of Americans passes on. We live surrounded by wonders that exist thanks to the vision of our fathers and grandfathers. We enjoy freedom that exists only because of their fierce determination to protect it. There are places in the world where fathers and mothers have very little to pass along to their sons and daughters. In America, we build ever higher, ever faster, ever stronger, rather than scrabbling to draw subsistence from a wasteland. The passage of history raises us up, instead of grinding us down.

I live in awe and gratitude of America痴 boundless charity, within her borders and around the world. No demand of government has smothered our voluntary compassion. No crisis at home has so consumed us that we cannot hear desperate cries from distant shores. The beating of this nation痴 warm and generous heart is still easy to feel.

I知 thankful to live in the nation people flee to. I wish our government officially valued citizenship more highly, but I have no doubt it remains equally precious to both people who were born with it, and those who earned it just days ago. Look for anyplace in the world where peace and freedom blossom, and you will find an American hand tilling the soil.

I知 glad I live in a nation founded by those who made a serious attempt to riddle out God痴 wishes for how he wanted his children to live, and wrote the sort of laws they thought he might have written. I知 glad they did such a good job that people of any faith, or no faith at all, appreciate the product of their industry centuries later. There is an old saying that even if you don稚 believe in God, he believes in you. We live upon a Constitution written by men who believed in us, even though they could scarcely imagine the world we live in. It is a document radiant with every species of faith.

Faith is what Thanksgiving is all about. It was not a dinner held by colonists who could scarcely believe they had survived to sit at the table, or doubted their right to take a place. They celebrated the robust vindication of their faith, not its fragile endurance. They looked forward to the future and honored the past. Today we take our seats at the table they set long ago, and share their anticipation for all that is yet to come.

And if none of that sounds good to you, I give thanks for living in a time when you could read it just hours after I wrote it, and register your objections as soon as they crossed your mind.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

For Fourth Straight Year Obama's Thanksgiving Message Doesn't Thank God

Yet again, President Obama’s Thanksgiving message eschewed any direct reference to thanking God, making this the fourth straight year in which the President of the United States has ignored the central message of the holiday in favor of political grandstanding.

This year, Obama’s central message was that now that he’s been re-elected, Americans should agree with all of his policies. His unity routine sounds strangely empty after a campaign in which he focused on dividing Americans >>>

It’s no wonder that this President’s Democratic National Committee platform tried to remove God. He’s not a big fan of the Big Guy. Even on Thanksgiving. After all, what need do you have for God when you’ve got the state?

Big-Government

0bama and the "Golden Calf" worshipers apparently think he is the reason for the season. Reminiscent of the picture of 0bama in a King Louis XIV outfit with the caption ...

"You Should Be Thanking Me"
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.