Thread: Egypt's Morsi assumes sweeping powers, branded new pharaoh

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    ^ I'm still waiting for Fredo to say something. Or take a side. He takes a side when it's convenient, that's for sure.

I wonder how many times he said "raise taxes on the rich" today.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Seems like... I don't know... if there was any a time for the UN to prove it has a purpose to exist, it's now in Egypt. Libya. Or Syria (soon). Countries just coming out of a revolution need international monitors to protect civilians.
    They tried and failed in Syria. One IED and they got the hell outta Dodge.

Maybe if they try again they can actually give the Blue Helmets some weapons.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    One whole day and no response from Arroyo, even after I rephrased the question to suit him.

Gutless.
    Day two, and still not response from Snarko.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Day two, and still not response from Snarko.
    He is busy with his boyfriend in another Interweb dimension.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I guess I have to give Fredo a pass today.

Too bad too...the Egyptians are voting tomorrow on the Pharaoh's constitution. I was hoping Fredo would encourage a "yes" vote but spineless is as spineless does.
    Be Not Afraid.

Update: The Islamist constitution passed. Did Fredo call to congratulate the Pharaoh or what?

Woo-hoo Arab Spring rulez!!!
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Update: The Islamist constitution passed. Did Fredo call to congratulate the Pharaoh or what?

Woo-hoo Arab Spring rulez!!!
    It's simply a paper cover for Morsi's dictatorship. KGS Nightwatch had an insightful commentary:

Egypt: On 26 December President Mohammed Mursi signed the new constitution which he said will help put an end to political turmoil and allow him to focus on fixing the country's economy. Yesterday, 25 December, the election commission announced that the constitution passed the referendum with a 63.8% majority.

Mursi broadcast a recorded speech to the nation in which he congratulated Egyptians on the new constitution. He said that Egypt was observing a remarkable historic day because it has a new constitution that was not imposed by an occupier, king or a president. It came through the free will of the people, he said.

He averred that the passing of the constitution meant Egypt could now move to a new stage that should bring security and stability for Egyptians. He urged all political parties and groups to participate in the sessions of the national dialogue that he oversaw to reach censuses on the issues of the coming period.

Mursi said the economy was a priority and promised to take necessary steps to heal it. He added that changes to the cabinet would be made if necessary. "I commissioned Dr. Hisham Qandil, the prime minister, and I was consulting with him on the ministerial changes which will suit this stage."

He also promised to carry out projects to support the Egyptian market and the economy. "The coming days will witness, God willing the launch of new projects in the fields of services and production, and a package of incentives for investors to support the Egyptian market and economy."

He added that Egyptians will start a new stage of work and production and said that the legislative powers have now been transferred to upper house of parliament, until a new lower house is elected.

According to Mursi, he is only working for God and the interest of the nation, as he is not after power as Egyptians know. He said: "I have shouldered the responsibility of taking difficult decisions to make this constitution a basis."

Comment: The process of enacting the constitution apparently climaxes with a presidential signature. Thus the president of Egypt begins and ends the constitutional process by decree. He even decrees himself to abide by it, which means the President remains the ultimate source of state political authority. This is not a modern democracy, despite Mursi's description of it as such. It is a modern Islamist state, relative to a caliphate.

For the record, the army continues to be the source of supreme sovereign authority and that means the guys with the guns win. Mursi has not consolidated control, despite having been in office since June, in the sense that the army and 36% of Egyptians - most of those who have advanced degrees, foreign study and live in the big cities -- oppose him as a would-be Islamist dictator.

He has chosen economics as a national priority because he has gone as far as he can go with politics for now. In the end, economics will dictate Mursi's fate as president of Egypt, not religion.

His failure to satisfy the political demands of the urban elite risks he will have little success in attracting the foreign aid and investment Egypt desperately needs. The farmers count in a referendum, but their prosperity depends on outside aid.

Mursi has little with which to bargain, even if the educated class agrees to help him and assuming he is committed to free markets, which is not clear. Thus, despite his speech today, the new constitution does not usher in an era of political or economic stability.
    http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS..._12000243.aspx

So, Egypt's economy will meltdown, it's foreign investments will dry up, and the new dictator will have to blame it on his political opponents in order to maintain his dictatorship. Sound familiar?

I'd like to hear what Arroyo has to say about this, but he hasn't been around since I challenged him. He's a gutless tool, and he deserves his new sig line.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!