Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    None.

The US position is that they should have a "dialogue," which is like calling for a dialogue between a rape victim and her assailant.
    He's dug in with Morsi. Backed the wrong horse (why am I not surprised) and now can't do anything but live with it as it (appears to) falls apart. Well see if it does or not.
    Be Not Afraid.

Good news...Egypt is taking delivery of 20 brand new, top of the line, F-16s next month. The best that Lockheed Martin can offer. Shiny and brand new.

Free. Yep, courtesy of the US taxpayer. Enjoy them Brotherhood pharaoh.

note: they were part of a $1B 2010 handout when Murbarak was in charge but he's gone and the planes live on.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Good news...Egypt is taking delivery of 20 brand new, top of the line, F-16s next month. The best that Lockheed Martin can offer. Shiny and brand new.

note: they were part of a $1B 2010 handout when Murbarak was in charge but he's gone and the planes live on.
    We're paying to arm the Muslim Brotherhood??

What the hell is the endgame on this?

The moment Mursi threatened to tear up the peace treaty with Israel, we should have stopped that delivery. If Egypt will not abide by its obligations, we are not obligated to abide by ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    We're paying to arm the Muslim Brotherhood??

What the hell is the endgame on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-.../dp/1439133425
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I didn't know he was a pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I didn't know he was a pilot.
    Morsi? No. But Mubarak was. Ironic, isn't it?
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Morsi? No. But Mubarak was. Ironic, isn't it?
    Yea!

I was just being glib about Morsi being the first civilian president of Egypt. I am glad you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Yea!

I was just being glib about Morsi being the first civilian president of Egypt. I am glad you got it.
    As long as you don't equate Morsi's civilian status with his being a democrat. Hitler's military service ended at the rank of corporal, and Lenin and Stalin were both civilians, but that didn't make any of their regimes democratic. Morsi is a dictator and his movement is made up of thuggish fanatics. The absence of a uniform doesn't change that.
    --Odysseus

As long as you don't equate Morsi's civilian status with his being a democrat. Hitler's military service ended at the rank of corporal, and Lenin and Stalin were both civilians, but that didn't make any of their regimes democratic. Morsi is a dictator and his movement is made up of thuggish fanatics. The absence of a uniform doesn't change that.
    The Egyptian military has a dilemma at the moment. Whether or not you believe Morsi is a democrat doesn't matter near as much as whether or not Egyptians do. And right now, Egyptians, many of them, believe they have democratic institutions. Others believe he has over stepped his authority. That means it is no longer a matter of the military protecting a dictator but a military protecting a larger, politically divided nation. Choosing sides will necessarily be a political act on their part.

BTW, I trust the Egyptian military more than most institutions in the tribal shit hole that is the Middle East.

The moment Mursi threatened to tear up the peace treaty with Israel, we should have stopped that delivery. If Egypt will not abide by its obligations, we are not obligated to abide by ours.
    Hillary just met with him a couple months ago, post pharaoh I believe. She didn't take a face to face to give him bad news, that's for sure.

You get the bad news when they don't meet with you. Like when Fredo blew off Netanyahu. Not good for Benji.
    Be Not Afraid.