Hybrid View

1. #1 Woman photographed riding a manatee in Florida is arrested 
    A St. Petersburg, Fla., woman was arrested on a misdemeanor warrant Saturday after being photographed two months ago riding a manatee.

Florida's Manatee Sanctuary Act protects the endangered sea mammal and says in part, It is unlawful for any person at any time, by any means, or in any manner intentionally or negligently to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb or attempt to molest, harass, or disturb any manatee.

Ana Gloria Garcia Gutierrez, 53, was taken into custody without incident at a Sears department store where she works, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

The incident first came to the public's attention when Sheriff Bob Gualtieri held a news conference on Oct. 2 and asked for help in identifying the woman photographed riding the manatee at nearby Fort De Soto Park in late September.

Gutierrez has admitted touching the endangered sea mammal, the sheriff's office said. She told deputies that she was new to the area at the time and didn't know it was illegal to touch a manatee. The manatee was not hurt.

The maximum penalty is a $500 fine and six months in jail. Gutierrez was released on $1,500 bail, the Associated Press reported.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,6247205.story

Oh the hugemanatee!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

The problem with this is the number of swim with the manatee programs here. I can see how it can be confusing.

At the marine mammal facility where we volunteer, we often get into discussions with tourists about not touching manatees or dolphins that they might encounter in the wild. But then they talk about paying to do the swim with the manatees or dolphin programs.

Somehow they need to draw the line and either stop those programs or stop prosecuting people. Personally, I think they should leave those poor animals alone. There was a dolphin named Beggar who died here recently. When they necropsied him, they found a number of obsturctions in his intestines and numerous boat strike marks.

There's a lovely little park/beach/picnic spot on North Lido Beach. A few weeks ago SR and I were eating a picnic lunch there. A raccoon came within a few feet to beg. We talked to a ranger and said the animals are getting to be a nuisance, taught by people feeding them.

A general rule is to leave wild animals alone, don't feed them, touch them. It could contribute to their becoming nuisance animals and being relocated or killed.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

When I lived in Florida we had pet squirrels. They'd climb right up your legs to get food. Dolphins were no strangers to us either. Everytime we took a boat out on Choctawhatchee Bay, we'd run into a bunch of them. They'd come up and check us out. Never let us touch them though.

Florida certainly had more "tame" wild animals than anywhere else I've lived.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Ah yes, I recall sharks circling our boat when I belonged to the Boat club a couple of years ago, fun times...I never had the urge to ride one, however.

....... in any manner intentionally or negligently to annoy, molest, harass, or disturb or attempt to molest, harass, or disturb......
    That just about covers everything including looking at them with binoculars.......................Manatee! Look away!!

The maximum penalty is a $500 fine and six months in jail. Gutierrez was released on $1,500 bail,
    No kidding. A 1500$ bail, so she can come back and get fined 500$. Maybe it makes sense; sure looks funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Ah yes, I recall sharks circling our boat when I belonged to the Boat club a couple of years ago, fun times...I never had the urge to ride one, however.
    If I ever wanted to ride a shark, I'd marry a Kardashian.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Those things are delicious.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    When I lived in Florida we had pet squirrels. They'd climb right up your legs to get food. Dolphins were no strangers to us either. Everytime we took a boat out on Choctawhatchee Bay, we'd run into a bunch of them. They'd come up and check us out. Never let us touch them though.

I've got a rattlesnake in the back yard that will let you pet him once.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post

You must've never met up with our gator's, snakes, or Outlaw bikers. :)
    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.