Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Christmas Cards and Care Packages 
    My Sergeant Major passed along an email she got from her relatives back home, apparently people are getting a grassroots thing going to send Christmas cards to the wounded troops this year back in the States. I'm putting mine together now, just thought ya'll might be interested to contribute as well. God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

**Snip**

GREAT IDEA!!

When doing your Christmas cards this year, take one card and send it to this address. If we pass this on and everyone sends one card, think of how many cards these wonderful special people who have sacrificed so much would get.

When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, please include the following:

A Recovering American Soldier/Marine
    c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
    Washington,D.C. 20307-5001
    :D
    Last edited by marinejcksn; 11-26-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Good and easy idea.

I'll kick your thread even though I don't care for the "XMas" in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Good and easy idea.

I'll kick your thread even though I don't care for the "XMas" in the title.
    Noted and updated. I thought the entire Christmas might not fit in the thread title. :o

One more thing; I want to say thanks to all of you who've been supporting us over here. As unpopular as the war is, the American people haven't forgotten about all of us who serve in it. I've personally gotten several care packages from America Supports You and people send cards & letters all the time. You have no idea how good it feels to know the majority of America still has our backs. Thanks again!

Turns out this is not a good idea according to snopes.
    Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages and letters, addressed to "Any Wounded Soldier" that Walter Reed will not be accepting these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "Any Wounded Service Member" letters or packages. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.
    Any cards, etc sent to the address will be returned or thrown out. Not delivered.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/walterreed.asp

A good idea but in this day and age of nutbags sending stuff through the mail they need to take precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Turns out this is not a good idea according to snopes. Any cards, etc sent to the address will be returned or thrown out. Not delivered.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/walterreed.asp

A good idea but in this day and age of nutbags sending stuff through the mail they need to take precautions.
    Good catch. Holiday Mail for Heroes, run by the American Red Cross can get the cards to our heroes. Or, the military is also suggesting making a donation to one of the charities that helps troops and veterans.

Thanks for the catch everyone! I emailed the information to my Sergeant Major, she's going to get the word out to the unit and all our families to pitch in. :D

7. #7 Care Packages 
    A distant cousin of mine is in the Army and currently stationed in Afghanistan.

He's a Senior NCO who is still making frequent trips outside the wire patrolling for insurgents.

He's stationed at a Forward Operating Base, so a lot of niceties are probably pretty slim pickings.

Let me know if anyone wants info for care packages.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

About once a week I'll be updating this post with some general info about deployed members of the military. If at anytime you want to send a care package, just shoot me a PM, and I'll give you their mailing info.

Here is a good list of items that are generally well recieved.

http://www.allmilitary.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=13887
    Last edited by djones520; 08-06-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Just started talking to a guy whose going into his second year in a row in Afghanistan.

He's a reservist who can't go active, so has to stay deployed to keep his benefits going for his family.

If anyone wants to send him a care package send me a PM, and I'll get mailing info for you.
    Send me one I would love to help out and if you want to add any wish list items as well let me know that as well

Does he have a wish list?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

This particular person did not. Was just something nice I decided to do for him, given the hell he's putting himself through for his family.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.