Thread: Puppyquest 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Puppyquest 2012 
    Fabulous Poster
    SO....

I'm still looking for a puppy to adopt. There are plenty out there, but I am hesitant to deal with these people. The SPCA and Humane Society (is there a difference?) don't have any real chihuahuas. I'm not demanding purebred, but I do want it to conform in size, ie 6 pounds or less. These other "rescues" appear to be people who are making a living or a supplement by "rescuing" litters and then "rehoming" them for a "rehoming fee" that is between 2 and 5 times as high as the Pound.

I know that the right dog and moment will come along, as it always does. In fact, I know that if I mention it to enough people around here, someone will show up on my doorstep with an adorable chihuahua baby who wants a daddy. I'm just surprised at how many people look for any crack in a system which they can exploit for a few dollars.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We have a neighbor up the street who has one and it goes nuts whenever it sees the greyhounds. And I mean crazy nuts to the point where it's gotten out of its harness. Twice.

They are scrappy dogs...
    May the FORCE be with you!

I have a chihuahua named Chico. He is about 14 year old, is blind and deaf, manages to fall in the pond behind our house once a month and we adore him. We just recently got a Shih Tzu we named Grizzly Gene because he looks like a cross between a baby grizzly and Gene Simmons (top knot and all). He is a fantastic dog with a wonderful personality.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I have a chihuahua named Chico. He is about 14 year old, is blind and deaf, manages to fall in the pond behind our house once a month and we adore him. We just recently got a Shih Tzu we named Grizzly Gene because he looks like a cross between a baby grizzly and Gene Simmons (top knot and all). He is a fantastic dog with a wonderful personality.
    My friend Ninny keeps telling me that I will regret getting a chihuahua. She says they are impossible to fully housebreak and that they pee everywhere. I find that difficult to believe, and the breeder website in Pennsylvania says that they are difficult to train, but only because they require a great deal of structure and commitment on the part of the owner. The breeders say that you start by getting up in the morning, take the dog from crate to potty-place (indoor or outdoor) and then take him there two hours later, then four hours, and so on until you have him trained to wait 8-10 hours. Sounds reasonable to me. I just don't want to screw up a dog that might outlive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My friend Ninny keeps telling me that I will regret getting a chihuahua. She says they are impossible to fully housebreak and that they pee everywhere. I find that difficult to believe, and the breeder website in Pennsylvania says that they are difficult to train, but only because they require a great deal of structure and commitment on the part of the owner. The breeders say that you start by getting up in the morning, take the dog from crate to potty-place (indoor or outdoor) and then take him there two hours later, then four hours, and so on until you have him trained to wait 8-10 hours. Sounds reasonable to me. I just don't want to screw up a dog that might outlive me.
    They are kind of hard to house break but I think that has to do with the tiny bladder. If you take them out often they are ok. Chico stays outside during the day and comes in at sundown. When the weather is bad and not one is home all the dogs stay in individual kennels. They know instinctively not to poop where they sleep but you can let them stay in the kennels for more than 8 hours.

The Shih Tzu is a minor problem. He understands that he can't go in the house about 90 percent of the time but about every other day he forgets. He is still young (4 months hold) so I guess he is improving

The easiest dog I ever had to house break was a Sheltie. Fasha picked it up in about a week and only had an occassion accident during the first year. After that she was good to go to be left alone in the house.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Nova...good luck at finding your puppy.

Our chihuahua's are a mix...Chihuahua/Jack Russell. We got two litter mates. They started out the same size but now, at almost a year old...there is a big difference. The boy looks like a JRT in size (he weighs about 18 lbs) and temperament. The girl is much smaller (about 9 lbs) and acts more like a Chihuahua.

Training them was time consuming but being retired, actually gave my husband something to do. And both are now housebroken. It did take time and patience but they are very smart puppies.

We also have a Border Collie/Aussie Shepard mix (also has some water dog in him).

Liz
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

A can't abide in your choice of a dog, they're nothing but over grown rats, but just keep up the search. Try this out, maybe you'll see something you like.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...on=Tampa%2C+FL
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    A can't abide in your choice of a dog, they're nothing but over grown rats, but just keep up the search. Try this out, maybe you'll see something you like.
    I thought the same...til I had one. If you had asked me a couple of years ago what dog I would want, I would have said an English Mastiff.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    —Benjamin Franklin
    Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
    I thought the same...til I had one. If you had asked me a couple of years ago what dog I would want, I would have said an English Mastiff.
    They're about the size of a greyhound's head.

I started out with schnauzers, but after the last one died, I vowed that I'd never have another small, yippy dog. I went from schnauzers to Norwegian elkhounds to greyhounds and finally found the perfect dog for us. I've had greyhounds for at least 15 years. Love those gentle couch potatoes.

Chihuahuas definitely have an advantage---you can take them on a plane in a teeny tiny carrier. But they're hard to housetrain, ditto small poodles. You'd think that the little guys would be easier. Our Bella Blue (greyhound) was good from the moment that she entered our lives, never had an accident in the house. And she's in the house 98% of the time.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

Nova, are you any where near South Florida? The rescue group I help just rescued a Chihuahua puppy that was thrown out of a moving car window. She is being treated by a vet who is donating medical help. She is a cutie. Let me know if you're interested.