Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Painting Depicts Obama as Crucified Christ 
    They are really taking this Obama is the messiah stuff beyond sacrilegious. I wouldn't want to have to stand anywhere near Obama or the painter.

A painting that features President Obama posed as Jesus Christ crucified on is on display at a community college art gallery in Boston.
    The painting by Michael D’Antuono is part of a larger exhibit called “Artists on the Stump – the Road to the White House 2012.” It’s on display at the Bunker Hill Community College Art Gallery until Dec. 15th.

The painting is called “Truth” – and shows the president with his arms outstretched. A crown of thorns rests on his head.
    It was originally supposed to debut nearly four years ago at New York City’s Union Square. But that event was cancelled due to public outrage.
    “I always regretted cancelling my exhibit in New York because I feel my First Amendment rights should override someone’s hurt feelings,” D’Antuono told Fox News. “We should celebrate the fact that we live in a country where we are given the freedom to express ourselves.”
    A spokesperson for the art gallery told Fox News there hasn’t been any criticism of the painting.
    D’Antuono said the public exhibition “has afforded me the ability to right a wrong.”
    He dismissed critics who called the display blasphemous.
    Story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    This is just pure blasphemy. They take a nothing politician who is being propped up by some of the most criminal Wall Street outfits and try to equate him with the Son of God who came in peace and fought for the salvation of all the worlds' peoples.

It's a stomach-turning type of disgusting.

Very interesting. The shading is off, BTW.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

“I always regretted cancelling my exhibit in New York because I feel my First Amendment rights should override someone’s hurt feelings,” D’Antuono told Fox News. “We should celebrate the fact that we live in a country where we are given the freedom to express ourselves.”
    Try out that sentiment by using the n word or any word the left decides is offensive. Why doesn't this jerk just be honest and say that he should have the right to offend Christians because they'll take it. Try this stunt with Mohammed and the guy will be saying adios to his head.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that he hasn't got the testicles to offend a minority or a Muslim.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Try out that sentiment by using the n word ....

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    False dichotomy...
    But nice try.

C. S. Lewis

False dichotomy...
    I agree.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    That painting, if done today, would be very controversial especially in the black community and especially if done by a white male artist. Rockwell would be accused of racism now.

At the time Rockwell painted that, the n-word was in common use, especially in the South, and Rockwell was depicting an actual contemporary reality that needed to be addressed. "White male" had not yet become synonymous with "racist bigot" in the public mind and there were many whites who were outraged by what occurred in Little Rock.

Today's context is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    That painting would be very controversial in the black community if it were done today, especially by a white male artist.

At the time Rockwell painted that, the n-word was in common use, especially in the South, and Rockwell was depicting an actual contemporary reality that needed to be addressed.

Today's context is very different.
    That was what I meant when I called Arroyo_Doble's use of the Rockwell image a false dichotomy. This image symbolized the negativity of the word. It wasn't meant to offend but to expose. Any offense was a collateral result of the true meaning of the image. The artist who painted the Obama picture was intending to offend and nothing else.

C. S. Lewis

I bet dollars to doughnuts that he hasn't got the testicles to offend a minority or a Muslim.
    I wouldn't go that far to say he did this to offend Christians. I think he just really likes POTUS. And no he probably wouldn't intentionally offend Muslims. Very few people would these days. I don't aim to to offend anyone intentionally, but if their feelings get hurt, like many Christians with his painting, that is a result of his actions. I will leave it at that. I think the painting is stupid, regardless of who it would have been.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger