Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I might accept your interpretation if it were not for the fact that there have been so many suggestions and depictions of Obama as Messiah, especially during the 2008 election. This image, for example, was all the rage at DU:

The idea of Obama as some sort of savior was part and parcel of the PR campaign that got him elected. To many African Americans, he may have seemed that way. He may also have seemed like a symbol of grand forgiveness of America for its past racism.

Jamie Foxx's recent "lord and savior"statement must surely be taken in this context.

Are you sure that this picture is meant to make Obama look like God? It looks more like an R&B album cover. I like the white horse surfing on the water in the backround.

OMG!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

open question for people who have a problem with the painting:

If this exact same painting was done by a conservative artist, who meant it ironically, or as an indictment of Obama... (Obama is giving himself "god-like" powers in government / Obama is playing the victim & the artist is referring to the expression "on the cross" / Obama sees himself as a saviour, or others see him as a saviour / etc)... would you still have a problem with it?

aka, is it the image or the intent?
    Last edited by m00; 11-27-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post

If this exact same painting was done by a conservative artist, who meant it ironically, or as an indictment of Obama... (Obama is giving himself "god-like" powers in government / Obama is playing the victim & the artist is referring to the expression "on the cross" / Obama sees himself as a savior, or others see him as a savior / etc)... would you still have a problem with is?

It's the image. I think a conservative artist with ironic intent would have been better able to express that irony and the religious among us would have recognized it. When you have to explain your irony, you're either a bad artist or lying about your intent to begin with.

Power CUer
    Speaking of Obama and art:

If this exact same painting was done by a conservative artist, who meant it ironically, or as an indictment of Obama... (Obama is giving himself "god-like" powers in government / Obama is playing the victim & the artist is referring to the expression "on the cross" / Obama sees himself as a savior, or others see him as a savior / etc)... would you still have a problem with is?

I think it is based on who produced it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Translation: I don't have a problem with my president being portrayed as Christ because that's what I think he is and anybody who has a problem with it is short sighted. Or should that be 'HE'?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Spike Lee makes it clear what the expectations were in 2008:

Spike Lee says Obama was Savior/Black Jesus

0.16-0.22

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It is blasphemous in that it seems to equate Obama with God.
    The Crucified Christ imagery, and quite often the Christ story (Being There, The Iron Giant, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, etc ...) has been used quite often in art, literature, movies, photography, and all that.

Offense is your choice.

I am sort of with Odie on this one. It is overt, heavy handed, and sloppy. All it gets from me is a "meh."

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Translation: I don't have a problem with my president being portrayed as Christ because that's what I think he is and anybody who has a problem with it is short sighted. Or should that be 'HE'?
    That's a rather extreme translation, don't you think? The painter has the right to paint it. I can't really say I have a problem with it other than it being stupid. I don't like it but I don't hate it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger