Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Our new neighbors across the street have a huge Mastiff. She's a beautiful dog, but she's afraid and shy. We have to be very careful if the greys are outside, on leash. That dog growled at them, a warning growl because she supposedly is afraid. Bella just wants to play.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
    My daddy had an English Mastiff...named Mabel (not her registered name tho). She was a fantastic dog but dumb as dirt! But for sheer size, they make an excellent "watch dog". However the most deadly thing about her was her tail...it's like getting hit with a large log when she wagged it.
    Titus has a tendency to get a little carried away with the tail wagging but will stop if you call his name and shake your finger at him. He is getting long in the tooth though and isn't much into social decorum so when he has to fart you either deal with it or are free to vacate the area. I quit drinking about 6 yrs ago but Titus still has a beer or two a day.

Oh yea Titus is a pussy but ya need to get beyond his size & looks to figure that out.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I have only done rescue or quasi-rescue (taken ownership of a dog who would soon be without a home). My next will probably be a military working dog rescue if possible although the list of potential homes for war dogs is long, I believe.

I say this because I want to promote the rescue route. Since you are Air Force, you might look into the MWD program at Lackland AFB. That is where they process retiring dogs. I do not know if they have Rotties, though. We are a Malinois family.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I have only done rescue or quasi-rescue (taken ownership of a dog who would soon be without a home). My next will probably be a military working dog rescue if possible although the list of potential homes for war dogs is long, I believe.

I say this because I want to promote the rescue route. Since you are Air Force, you might look into the MWD program at Lackland AFB. That is where they process retiring dogs. I do not know if they have Rotties, though. We are a Malinois family.
    Thanks to you and Madisonian for promoting rescue dogs. I've found they are the best, might take a bit of training in some cases to correct a lack of training by the original owner, but worth it in the long run.

You must get some awesome rescue dogs from Lackland, I lived in San Antonio for 7 years and used to compete in obedience trials with my schnauzer. I never had a chance competing against some of the trainers from Lackland wo did the obedience trials with their own personal dogs.

DJones, you might try Purina Farms, but I think they have a long waiting list of dogs for adoption west of St Louis at the Farm.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

We'll have moved before we get a new dog. I want Anna to be atleast about a year old before I take on the task of training a new puppy.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    Pet stores are the outlet malls for every puppy mill in the country, so unless that is what you choose to support, they should be avoided like an Islamic terrorist wearing a heavy coat in August.
    Most AKC aligned breeders aren't a lot better in my experience.
    If they will sell you a dog without questions or concern, walk away. They won't care if the dog rips your kids faces off as long as they get their cash.

If you do not want a rescue, then look for a breeder that breeds "working" dogs that breeds for function, not for appearance. They will try to match the temperment of the sire, dam and litter to your requirements and situation.
    ^^^^This.

The list of Rottie breeders is extensive and only by doing some homework are you going to be able to whittle that list down to something that you can manage.

Eventually, logistics comes into play at some point. You may have a bitchin' breeder up in Nome, Alaska, but getting there to visit the pup prior to pickup might be challenging.

A conscientious breeder will want to know a boatload about YOU. Your background, your intentions, your family situation, your environment (fenced yard? If not, that's a showstopper for some breeders.)

The more picky they are regarding YOU, the better your chances for getting the pup that fits you and your family best.

(There are also lots of Rottie rescue sites, and presumably you could find a pup or young dog still very much trainable.)
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    That's why we will be getting a puppy, so she grows up with the other animals and kids. Obediance training will be necessary as well. Rottie's are definitely not your standard dog, they've gotta be handled differantly, but the pay off is well worth it. Very smart, very loyal, very lovable breed. And there is no other dog I'd rather have to keep my children safe.

Rotts are great with kids. My neighbors in the city had one named Max, and he was an awesome dog. Nobody messed with his kids.

He did get in the garbage cans, though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I do have some suggestions when it comes to picking the dog that is right.

Pick the puppy up. Hold him right in front of your face. When you find a dog who focuses on you, he is a possible candidate. Most dogs will squirm around and not even notice you. Don't get one of those.

Next, blow gently in the dog's face. The dog you want will try to bite your breath and play with you...

Those are the steps that have worked so well for us over the years.

G'LUCK!
    Those shouldn't be the only criteria. Much depends on the age of the pups. Don't just choose one based on a single visit.
    Go visit with them several times...watch how they interact with each other and with you.

When you see a possible candidate, get some nail polish and paint the nails on one of his feet. Then when you come back a week later you can determine which one you were looking at previously.