Thread: Ohio dad gets jail for mocking girl with cerebral palsy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ohio dad gets jail for mocking girl with cerebral palsy 
    A northeast Ohio man accused of making fun of a young girl with cerebral palsy has been sentenced to a month in jail.

Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.

The (Canton) Repository reports that Bailey was caught on cellphone video at a school bus stop in October making fun of how the 10-year-old disabled girl walks. The video of him seemingly imitating her limp was disseminated online and on local TV news. Bailey denied he was mocking the girl, saying he was reacting to name-calling directed at his 9-year-old son.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28...#ixzz2DY0C2J6c
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I'm not sure if direct action by the court should have happened here, this to me is another that should have been left to the court of public opinion like the girl in Arlington cemetery.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

We're raising a generation of wimps, bullying will always happen, kids will just not be taught how to deal with it instead of brushing off the meaningless words and immature actions.

Violation of the ever changing political correctness code is becoming a jail-able offense I see.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 11-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I'm not sure if direct action by the court should have happened here, this to me is another that should have been left to the court of public opinion like the girl in Arlington cemetery.
    Agreed. It's a waste of the court's time, money and jail space.

That said, what a jerk. His community should shun him like Hester Prynne. He's teaching his kid to be a cruel idiot.

What the hell was the actual charge? While a nasty thing to do, the bus driver is protected by the First Amendment.

Edited to add charges:

Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28...#ixzz2DYGI6GoR

I wonder what the original charges were. Is it now a felony to make fun of a kid with CP? (It's nasty and disgusting, yes, but a felony?) And what is "aggravated menacing"? That sounds like physically threatening someone, not making fun of them.

Fabulous Poster
    In FLorida we have some special laws dealing with crimes against the handicapped. I have never read of it being invoked in a case like this. But it appears that it could be.

Florida Statute Section 825.102 - Abuse or Neglect of Disabled or Elderly Person
    Under Florida law, the abuse of an disabled adult or elderly person is defined as willfully and knowingly either:
    An intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in psychological injury or physical injury to a disabled adult or elderly person;
    the intentional infliction of psychological injury or physical injury upon a disabled adult or elderly person; or
    an act that actively encourages any third person to commit an act that could resonably be expected to result in psychological or physical injury to a disabled adult or elderly person (or an act that does actually result in such injury).

I don't feel the least bit sorry for this person sitting in jail but I have to wonder what is next, arresting people for making video's that offend some?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I don't feel the least bit sorry for this person sitting in jail but I have to wonder what is next, arresting people for making video's that offend some?
    Seriously. Can I be arrested for mocking ragheads in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Seriously. Can I be arrested for mocking ragheads in Ohio?
    In this current climate I would say yes, I think were right up there with Canada on political correctness being enforced by courts, who needs a law when you can bend and twist other laws to do things they were not intended for.